da Yooper's Shop

Rich Aldrich

I finally got around to taking pictures of my shop. The shop is 20 x 52. 20 x 28 is heated and insulated. The remaining 20 x 24 is for cold storage. This is where I can store purchased lumber and dry lumber that I have had cut off my property. See Shop Picture

The next pictuer shows the area I have been concentrating on organizing. It is nearly complete. Once I put the addition on the fall of 2006, I put all of my lumber in the unheated addition, except for what I plan to use in 3 weeks time.

You can see the Clearvue and ductwork. This has been an ongoing project since August 2007. It is nearly complete. I have to install dust collection for my compound miter saw and I want to make a down draft table for sanding.

The next picture shows my miter saw station, built similar to the one in Wood magazine. I modified it to fit the space and the saw (Bosch 3915). I also use the bench for pocket hole drilling, biscuit jointing and some assembly until I build my assembly table.

The tablesaw and plywood picture my Grizzly G1023S with the sliding cut off table. I am going to try removing the cut off table and trying sleds instead. It seems to be in the way and I find I have to move the cut off fence on the back to rip other boards. Then I have to square it back up. With a good sled or two, I may save time.

I built the overhead blade guard. I really like it. This shot also shows the reducer/wye combination pieces that I made so I could go from 6" to 5" for the cabinet and 4" take off for the blade guard dust collection. I forgot to take a picture inside the cabinet saw. It is nearly empty of dust. Amazing.

You can also see the plywood storage rack. I am not so crazy about it. With 8 ft ceilings, I have fun getting it in and out of the rack. I am thinking about making a storage cart and keeping the plywood out in the cold storage. I can bring it in as I need it. Also, when I get a saw guide system, I wont have to bring big sheets in this area. I can cut them in the cold storage area and bring them in.

The cold storage area is behind the double doors. This was where my garage door used to be.

The next picture shows my router table and jointer. I need to make a cabinet under the router table yet. I got the plans when I purchased the router table from MLCS, but I havent had a chance to build it yet. It also shows my clamp storage. I need more clamps - my wife thinks I am nuts (probably true, but I still need more clamps).

The planer picture shows my Makita 2012NB planer. I used a furnace floor vent adaptor to make a dust collection hood for the 6" ducting when I hooked it up to the clearvue. It is noiser due to the large volume of air being pulled past the blades. The noise goes away when I shut the blast gate.

The cylcone picture shows my latest tool project - the Clearvue cyclone. I had to rais my ceiling in this area. I used to have a garage door to the right and the ceiling was already raised. I just had to copy what I did in that area. I still have to put something on the ceiling of this area - it is just insulation for now.

The next picture shows the cabinet that I am building to store all of my small power tools. I am presently working on raised panel doors to finish it off. I have plans to build small organizational storage compartments in it as I go. Dont look at the color of the blinds - I have all girls - the blinds were replaced in the house and beggers cant be choosy.

Next Picture -
Ok, now this area needs organizing. My plan is to make normal height bottom cabinets with a work bench type top to the corner. Then to the right, I want to make a mobile bench and that will be it's storage area. This is the next area I plan to attack. with organization. That goofy flimsy table will be gone.

This is another shot of my miter saw station. I also have built a screw/nail storage cabinet. You can see the wood storage under the miter saw station. Works great for the boards I need for the next month or so. I just need to stay ahead on the wood brought in.

Cold Storage - even in the summer. This picture was taken looking out the double doors of the heated part into the cold storage area. This is lumber storage... also it has my brush hog and boat.

The things that I would do differently:

1. I would build normal walls and foundation, not pole building style. I would have metal walls and still have the same style roof - metal with trusses on 4 ft centers.
2. The ceilings would be 10 ft high.
3. In-floor heat - it wasnt thought of when I put it up, at least it wasnt in my neck of the woods. I started building in 1993. Once the houes was complete, I continued on the shop - that was 1999.
4. I would have built it 28 ft wide instead of 20 ft. The width would help the tool arrangement.
5. The ceiling would probably be drywall, but the walls would have been tongue and groove pine. At the time, drywall was expensive - $10 per 4 x 8 sheet.

Attachments

• Shop.jpg
    Shop.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 358
  • DSCF1273 - 1.jpg
    DSCF1273 - 1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 494
  • Miter Saw Station.jpg
    Miter Saw Station.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 375
  • Table Saw & Plywood Storage.jpg
    Table Saw & Plywood Storage.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 336
  • Jointer and Router Table.jpg
    Jointer and Router Table.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 340
  • Planer.jpg
    Planer.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Cyclone.jpg
    Cyclone.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Small Tools Cabinet.jpg
    Small Tools Cabinet.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 299
  • This area needs organizing.jpg
    This area needs organizing.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Cold Storage.jpg
    Cold Storage.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 279
I hear you on "Thing you would have done differently" but still, you have a lot to work with there :thumb:

How do you like that Makita planer? I've got it's older cousin and I really like mine!

Keeping your sheet goods out in the cold storage and using a guided circular saw to cut them down out there, is a great idea, it will free up space for sure!:thumb:

Thanks for the tour!

Nice shop, Rich.

I have the same tablesaw with the sliding table. Only mine is in an 8 foot wide cargo trailer. I remove the stop screw on the top tube at the far end and simply roll the sliding table off to keep it out of the way. I have had no problems with re-alignment when I need to use it.

I do remove the fence. It take a moment to reset that to 90° but I have a 12" drafting triangle that I use to set it perpendicular to the blade. 2 minutes tops.

Guess I ought to get busy and post pictures of my shop(s).

Hey dere Rich, dar's one fine lookin yooper shop in da nort woods.....:thumb:

Thanks for taking the time to post pics and tell us about your shop. Being familiar with your area.....:wave: where do you get your tools from? I remember there was a store in Green Bay that had a good selection.

Sometime when we get up there, I'll be knockin on your door for a personal tour. :thumb:

Hey dere Rich, dar's one fine lookin yooper shop in da nort woods.....:thumb:

Thanks for taking the time to post pics and tell us about your shop. Being familiar with your area.....:wave: where do you get your tools from? I remember there was a store in Green Bay that had a good selection.

Sometime when we get up there, I'll be knockin on your door for a personal tour. :thumb:

ya he got net shop der fer sur, and ya ned to take malong fer da drive steveO we both got blood frum dar area,, nice setup there and you will have more changes the more you use it...thanks for sharun..live in trol land but have yooper heart and soul!

For the NON-Michiganders in the audience:

Yooper
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Yooper (disambiguation))
Jump to: navigation, search

Yooper may refer to:

* The Upper Peninsula of Michigan : the people from there (Yoopers).
* Yooper dialect: The dialect of English speech used by the inhabitants of the Upper Peninsula
* Da Yoopers: A comedy/musical group from the area of the Upper Peninsula

Yooper may refer to:

* The Upper Peninsula of Michigan : the people from there (Yoopers).
* Yooper dialect: The dialect of English speech used by the inhabitants of the Upper Peninsula
* Da Yoopers: A comedy/musical group from the area of the Upper Peninsula

1.) correct

2.) English dialect heavily influenced by immigrants who migrated to that particular region of the U.P. near Marquette/Negaunee/Ishpeming it is heavily Swede, where I lived (close to Rich) was French Canadien. I can say in the 20 plus years I lived there I never picked up the accent, but do love to hear a Yooper talk.....dere's jus sumptin about it, eh?

3.) Favorite songs by "da Yoopers".....da Tirty point buck, or second week o deer camp.

Now back to your regualrly scheduled shop tour.....brought to you by....da Yooper.:thumb:

Steve,

Wholly Wha, der eh? I tell you someting,m eh?

You are welcome for a tour anytime. Some of my tools came from Woodworker's Depot and the Power Tool Store - both in Green Bay. I visit vendors from time to time in the Fox Valley, so I get down there every 3 to 4 months. I also order off the internet. For the tablesaw, I had Grizzly ship it to the paper mill and a I brought it home on a trailer.

Rich

Carol,

I just took the time last weekend to adjust the miter fence stop, so I might have found my problem. However, I didnt think about rolling the table right off the saw. I'll have to try that.
Rich

Looks good from down here in the Land of the Trolls.

Yes, I'm with you on this (literally). Great dust collection! I really need a setup like that and have been considering running it in the ceiling as opposed to the walls.

For everyone else, the "trolls" reference is according to your geograpic location in Michigan... Above the bridge, or below the bridge. Doug and I are below (South of) the bridge... and so we are "trolls."

Rich,

A very nice shop!

I was born and raised about 50 miles west of where you are. I remember what that funny white stuff is like...:rolleyes: Good thing your shop is well insulated/heated.

Thanks for sharing!!

Denise

Rich,

A very nice shop!

I was born and raised about 50 miles west of where you are. I remember what that funny white stuff is like...:rolleyes: Good thing your shop is well insulated/heated.

Thanks for sharing!!

Denise
Hey there Denise,
You say you were born and raised about 50 miles west of Manistique. If thats the case, you must have lived in my area in Engadine/Naubinway.
Are you related to Dave Walsh?

Up dated shop tour http://www.superwoodworks.com/Projects/ShopShots.htm