Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raffan Upper Cut......???

Raffan Upper Cut......???

OK, in the Andre Martel video >> HERE << (click on the AAW tab, and the Andre Martel Endgrain Hollowing video) he talks about and shows the "Raffan Upper Cut" with the bowl gouge, I had heard of this before, but until this video, I'd not seen it in action.

Wow, that is way cool!

I had to give it a try, so I had a few chunks of Beech sitting here that should be perfect for doing this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raffan_upper_cut_1st_try.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	19403

I know I need some more practice at this, but man when you get them long stringy curls flying off the gouge, boy, is that way cool!

Now, does anyone have any more info on this technique.??
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

funny you should mention Raffan, I brought his turning boxes dvd to work today, will watch it at Lunch just for a change of mental gears.
    -Ned

Thanks, Stu, I'll be giving this a go. I also need to make me one of those hook tools.
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

You know Billy, I looked at making one, but the ones Andre makes are made from some special D2 tool steel, and the elbow he has in his really works well.

The has three sizes.

Name:	martel_hook_tools1.GIF 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	19406 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	martel_hook_tools2.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	19407

You can see the price list here.........

Name:	martel_tools_price_list.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	19410

..........but for the money, I'm thinking that the small and medium hooks are well worth it. I'd make my own handles.

he also has a DVD coming out.........

Name:	martel_dvd.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	19408

....should be worth a look

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

stu, i sent an email and received the price list after watching his video on the woodworking channel as well. i'm just not clear on what he's listing. what parts do you really need to try out his hook tool? would those tools fit into a monster tool holder, for instance? or do you need a 'shank' as well? if you have his hook tool maybe you can answer.

his hollowing technique is very impressive, just as richard raffan's was on his videos.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.

Stu that is pretty cool way to hollow a box. I have been using Raffan's back cut for a while now. You can hog some wood off with that cut. Has a bit of a learning curve but once you have it wow.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very elegant. I've gotta try that. I've been doing the opposite, starting at the edge, and pushing in with the bowl gouge. I get long shavings too, but its far from elegant, I have to push hard, and if I take too much, the wood wants to wobble or fly. Bizarrely, when I get to the middle, the gouge is above center. I'll have to take pictures, its hard to describe.

That hook tool seem like its essentially a termite. I wonder if Randy makes a hook tool end for the monster?

Thanks,

Bill

Interesting. I have seen this clip before and I did not recall that he was making the cut with a bowl gouge.

Raffan actually uses a side ground spindle gouge to make the cut in his box video. Same technique different tool....

I use a Henry Taylor detail gouge with a shortened bevel which approximates the bowl gouge and is somewhere between the spindle gouge and the bowl gouge.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Mike, I have a tool from Hamlet called "A long strong spindle gouge" that is a much beefier spindle gouge, that is supposed to be for this technique, but I've not done the side ground on it yet, I think I shall!

Clark, send Andre an e-mail asking him all them questions, I do not have his hook tool........ yet

Shipping charges always suck, so I'll just be ordering the small and medium tools, with the diamond sharpener and hone, not the handles (shanks he calls them) I'll make those myself

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Mike Darlow discusses it in one of his books. I'll try to find it when I get home so I can tell you which book & page (and some sense of how much useful info he provides).
    It caught my eye, but I couldn't stomach actually trying it. Looking at the forces involved, it seems like you could get in serious trouble really quick if you lost the "balance".
    When you tried it, what happened when you had problems? As far as the cutting edge is from the tool rest, it doesn't seem like the tool rest would take the force of a catch, etc.
    I don't understand the cut well enough to attempt it!