Tips for removing poop stains from concrete?

Bruce Page

Our lab was sick Tuesday night and spent the night in the shop..er, garage. Needless to say, when I opened the door Wednesday morning I was greeted with enough poop for three dogs. :(:(
After pulling on some rubber gloves, I scrubbed the stains with Windex, which didn’t help. Next, I tried mopping with hot water and Spic & Span – I have a clean floor but I still have the dark stains.

Any Ideas/tips for removing them?

BTW, the Zoe is doing fine now.

this worked for me

i have used industrial strenght concret cleanser bruce to clean up old blood stains,, the concrete had been sealed when it was new buthat has been along time ago.. its very concentrated and i let it set and then rinsed it off severalt times they left after the inatial was the rinse was to get rid of the chems so to keep some concrete:) try a local commercial cleaner for the remediy..

I am a huge fan of Simple Green, only because it is safe around food and stuff. In fact you can use it in slaughter houses its so safe, one of VERY few cleaners that are allowed around food. We used it a lot on the lobster boats too to kill the fish smell, and that is considered food areas as well. I don't mind the smell, which I consider pleasant I guess, which will cut the smell of the poo in the garage.

If that does not do the trick, I always grab my second favorite cleaner...WD-40. No kidding, that stuff is the miracle cleaner.

If that does not do the trick, I always grab my second favorite cleaner...WD-40. No kidding, that stuff is the miracle cleaner.

It's funny what this stuff is good for. My dad used to go the the chiropractor at least once a week. One time he pulled some muscles in his back. The Dr. came in talked to him for a minute, then started to spray something on my dad's back. He said the pain was gone almost instantly. Asked him what it was, sure enough WD-40.

Go figure...

Bruce, I'll second the Simple Green suggestion. A pet supply place may also have some type of enzyme for cleanup. (I know they have enzymes to remove smells, but I'm not sure about stains.) Last but not least, a mild muriatic acid solution would probably remove the stains as it lightly etched the surface of the slab.

It's funny what this stuff is good for. My dad used to go the the chiropractor at least once a week. One time he pulled some muscles in his back. The Dr. came in talked to him for a minute, then started to spray something on my dad's back. He said the pain was gone almost instantly. Asked him what it was, sure enough WD-40.

Go figure...
Dunno if it still holds true, but WD-40 used to contain dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), which used to be available in liniments until some official agency determined that your rats might die if they drink a couple of cups a day for a few years. :rolleyes: I remember when DMSO was outlawed, people were driving to Mexico to get it, or spraying WD-40 on their arthritic joints. (With the metal parts I have built into my back these days, maybe the WD-40 would serve a dual purpose. Liniment and lubricant. :rofl:

Bruce, I'll second the Simple Green suggestion. A pet supply place may also have some type of enzyme for cleanup. (I know they have enzymes to remove smells, but I'm not sure about stains.) ...

It's worth a try. If I get to it while it's fairly fresh, it usually gets the stain out of carpet as well - at least with the hairball/vomit spots or butt-too-far-over-the-litter-box type accidents from the cats. China (the dog) has only ever had one house accident when sick and fortunately that was on tile.

Before spending more money I'd try a baking soda slurry overnight. If it doesn't work you're not out anything, and the carbonate is similar enough to the concrete it might compete with the staining.

More importantly I hope that the pooping poocher is all better now!

Allan, most of my stuff is on wheels but I have a couple of large stationary machines nearby. I'm going to try a few different cleaners like Simple Green, baking soda, ect.
I'll just live with it if they don't work.
I just thought somebody might have run into the same problem and had a magic solution.

Cast iron and water don't play well together. :huh:

If your tools are in there, and can't be easily removed, then definitely DO NOT use the muriatic acid someone suggested earlier! What the acid fumes will do is instantly corrode every bare iron surface in sight.

A few years back, when I lived in a pretty tightly congested development, my next door neighbor decided to acid wash his driveway. I spent the next three days cleaning rust off all my tools!

If your tools are in there, and can't be easily removed, then definitely DO NOT use the muriatic acid someone suggested earlier! What the acid fumes will do is instantly corrode every bare iron surface in sight.

A few years back, when I lived in a pretty tightly congested development, my next door neighbor decided to acid wash his driveway. I spent the next three days cleaning rust off all my tools!
That's good info to have. Thanks, Jim. I used a mild muriatic acid solution to clean my garage floor before I painted it with epoxy, but all my tools were out in the driveway.

You might try this. I use it to get rid of pet urine smells, but it may help with stains too.
8 oz. Hydrogen Peroxide, 2 teaspoons baking soda, and two drops of dish detergent such as Joy.

I should have pointed that out. I learned that lesson several years ago when I used muriatic acid to clean some small parts. I left the tub in the shop overnight and it turned all the cast iron an ugly brown. I used up a lot of Scotch Brite restoring everything.