Mixing Shellac

Aaron Beaver

I was told to use 1 oz shellac and 8 oz of denatured alcohol. I assume the 1 oz shellac is a dry measurement (weight) and the 8 oz is a liquid measurement.

Is all I do is put it in a jar with a lid on it for 24 hours until it dissolves?
Thanks

Aaron,

1 oz (dry flakes) shellac and 8oz (liquid) of alcohol will yield a 1 pound cut of shellac, a relativly thin finish but fine if you're doing several coats. I kinda like a 2 pound cut (2oz flakes and 8oz DNA).

Sometimes it take more than 24 hours (occasionaly less) for the flakes to disolve depending on the quality and age of the flakes. Give it a good shake from time to time to help it along.

Are you using this as a base coat for another finish or as the final finish itself?

Brian :)

Brian, I am using this as a base coat. I have some red oak carvings and I am going to use the 1lb cut to fill in some of the pores so it wont soak up so much stain and match more closely to the smooth sanded surface its going on.

In general, shallac used for a base coat should be the De-Waxed type. If your's isn't, when you mix your ingredents and let it sit, the wax will float to the top and can be pored off before use.

In general, shallac used for a base coat should be the De-Waxed type. If your's isn't, when you mix your ingredents and let it sit, the wax will float to the top and can be pored off before use.

I have read that putting the disolved mix in the fridge will help solidify the wax and make it easier to pour off the dewaxed shellac. I haven't tried this so any comments are welcome.

I've never tried this but I've heard of folks running the flakes through an old style hand coffee grinder before mixing to help make everything dissolve. I've done a lo-tech alternative of putting them in a heavy freezer bag then pounding to break them down. I think it helps as I've noticed less undissolved stuff at the bottom of the jar since I started doing this.

I've never tried this but I've heard of folks running the flakes through an old style hand coffee grinder before mixing to help make everything dissolve. I've done a lo-tech alternative of putting them in a heavy freezer bag then pounding to break them down. I think it helps as I've noticed less undissolved stuff at the bottom of the jar since I started doing this.

To add to what Doug said, you can take an electric coffee bean grinder and grind the flakes to a fine powder before you mix it with the alcohol. Shake the mix well, let it sit a while (maybe a half hour) shake it again, let sit, strain and use. really cuts down on the waiting and very little is undissolved.

I only have experience using Rockler's Orange Shellac flakes (dewaxed), but have never had a problem getting it to dissolve within a few hours. However, sometimes, the solution stays cloudy . . . although it does not appear to affect the clarity of the finish once dried.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?