Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which is it?

Which is it?

a disese or a in curable condition? or is it just a itch that needs to be scratched? how do you describe it? or treat it for that matter? what ever it is i have it,, and this what i have tried to do to control it.. see about this time of year sometimes later and sometimes sooner,, i have this uncontroallable urge to travel,, just got get away from the world or the world that i deal with regulary... am i a gypsy or just a hobo that will work for food or good conversation? your my family and i have this urge again and am headed southerly for a couple weeks,, got a couple stops lined up to break up the manotny but if any of you folk have this same afflicktion or can help me out in this or have any opinions of any kind, good or bad feel free to chime in... but i am here to warn you i wont be here after wed for the duration of my adventure dont have a horse drawn wagon either just a reliable PU that will serve as my home away from home for awhile.. have fun and its up to you folks to help me out here))
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    a disese or a in curable condition? or is it just a itch that needs to be scratched? how do you describe it? or treat it for that matter? what ever it is i have it,, and this what i have tried to do to control it.. see about this time of year sometimes later and sometimes sooner,, i have this uncontroallable urge to travel,, just got get away from the world or the world that i deal with regulary...
    Nahhh... don't think it's a desease, just a human urge like lots of other things we want (need) to do. I share it... and every summer for last 20+ years I've packed up the family and did a week or two of traveling, if only to "get away from it all" and see how other folks live. Alas I've gotten myself a little too busy (self imposed, my fledgling woodshop side business) in the last couple years and havn't. Besides... kids are mostly gone now anyway, so it would be my sweety and I now. At any rate, I hear ya... and plan is to retire from the day job in 4-5 years and then once again take off when the urge hits for a week or so... woodshop or not.
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

Larry, I know just what you mean. I worked for Union Pacific for 7˝ years. Throughout that whole time my residency never changed (they paid Maine taxes) but I was on duty for 3 months and got two weeks off. It was brutal, but after that long you just got use to traveling.

Now that I have been at home for 3 years straight, I find I get the itch to travel every few months or so. Just a raw need to travel.

Other aspects of those 7 years have stayed with me. I still eat at restaurants all the time. No matter how expensive the hotel room, I find them to be all the same, and to this day I must look at a product to see where it was made. Most of the time, I have been to that city.

I think its just Spring. Its the season to refresh and I think deep down inside we all want a new start.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Oh boy Larry!

Sounds like fun adventure, enjoy your self! I hope your adventure treats you well. Any of your stops have access to a computer with internet access? Sure would be fun for all of us to be able to follow your great adventure via the net with you. Travel safe and enjoy!
    Hey, I got those router bits, thanks again

Tom

Nah, not a disease. A lot of us get cabin fever, and this is the season for it.

I've worked jobs that involved a lot of travel, and I enjoy seeing new and different places. For the past couple of years, I've been pretty much stuck at home due to family issues, but eventually I plan to be able to get out and about more. LOML has not really seen any of the country except Southern California, and I really would like to show her some places to compare it to. Someplace that doesn't have 8+ million people there with you.

Have a fun trip Larry, and borrow a computer if you get a chance and let us know how the trip is going.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well, my travel urges don't come as often OR as strong as they used to, (guess I'm finally slowing down after all those years flying and then 7+ more yrs over the road). I still get the urge though once in a while and make a run over to northern Ala. delivering trucks and that seems to settle me down for a while. I have to agree with Travis that long ago, the motel rooms all started looking alike, regardless of the price OR what country they were in.

I hope you have as much fun this year as last, (and maybe steal a few more WW tricks in the process). Just one thing though, Larry, Watch out for those pesky, UNSTABLE Lawn Chairs that just won't hold up to a few Beers.

Don't forget to get PICTURES!!!!!!!!!

Very natural urge. Go and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    LOML has not really seen any of the country except Southern California

She has my sympathies.

If she hasn't seen Glacier National Park.....Yellowstone Nation Park (off season...say winter via a snow coach).......4 corners area (including Mesa Verde CO)............Mount Rushmore........beaches at Destin FL........Cooperstown, NY & the Baseball Hall of Fame.......St. Simon's and Jekyll Islands, GA.........the rolling hills of KY.......the lush green mountains of TN..........Arches National Monument UT............Canyonlands UT..........the Cascade Mountains of OR and WA......The Grand Tetons of WY..............Monument Valley UT.........

All of these places just make you want stand up and shout "MY GOD I LIVE IN A BEAUTIFUL WORLD!"

She has my sympathies.
    Ken
    ------

Larry,

If you are just traveling to get away from everyday things....go for it!

Someday, I expect you on my doorstep. I'll take you and show you where I elk hunted. Don't arrive before late June, however. If you do, you'll have to stay until the snow melts out and we can get to the high country. But I'm sure we can find something to do and country to see until it does.
    Ken
    ------

Wanderlust?
    Go. Satisfy the urge.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com