even MMs ain't perfect.

Frank Fusco

Went to a friend's shop yesterday, partly to see his new Min-Max 16" bandsaw. It sure looks like a real workin' hoss and well made. Not the first I've seen. Saw Tod's but his is a giant professional job. This one brought a unique complaint from the owner. The miter gauge slot is cut a non-standard size and is too deep. Miter gauge can't be slid in from the end without raising and once set in the slide sets at an angle because of the extra depth. I suggested he put a piece of UHMW tape on the bottom to even things up and help it slide easier. Seems like MM would not overlook something as basic as this. :dunno:
Mebbe they need to take lessons from Grizzly. :rofl: Uh-Oh. Now, I'm in trouble. :rolleyes:

Every company can make mistakes.......Even the great Grizzley...or Mini-Max.....or Laguna....or Agazzani.............Delta.........and the others. It happens.

Jim...I suspect it's the one that ships with the machine. Now I'll go check mine.:eek:

When I got my Laguna I was expecting to be able to use the gauge from my table saw...no such luck...the slot didn't match. You would think these things would be standardized. :(

I bet it is standardized...to european standards. :thumb: That's one of the beefs with the MM E16 like I have. But the slot is too shallow (about 3/16") for an aftermarket miter guage. Didn't bother me that much, as I don't see using a miter guage on the BS anyway. And if I find a need to, I have the factory one to use.
But, it could be the top was just cut wrong and no one caught it. Hopefully Ken and some of the others with the MM16 will shout back witht their findings. Jim.

Frank....tell your friend to check to make he's using the right one. I checked mine and it's perfect fit. I will check later to see if it is the same size as my table saw but the one that came with my MM-16 is accurately tight fit.

Frank, the MM vs Laguna quality issue is legendary. On the other hand, after you sink several thousand into any tool you feel a need to defend that call. Like the big Marine said, they all are made by humans (well, Griz may be an exception) and they reflect our humanity, complete with minor flaws. MM seems to be a good company regarding making things right.