Weekend work?

Jeff Horton

What did you get done this weekend? Mine is pretty much over now. Won't get to do much if anything tomorrow. I started by spending a couple of hours, yes hours, sanding the hull of the boat. Fun, fun!

Then I glassed inside the cockpit.

23.jpg

Touched up a couple of small spots on the hull, moved it outside and started to put together the second hull.

26.jpg

When I quit tonight it looked like this.

29.jpg

So what did you get done??

Confirmed, (after much chasing about and phone calling), that NOT ONE finishing supplier in this whole town stocks Zinser's "Seal Coat". Seems the different stores carry from one or two of their products to All of them EXCEPT Seal Coat.:bang::bang: I really wanted to try it as a sealer/primer on the OSB to see if it would keep from raising the strands like the waterbased primer does. I was so disgusted, I just came home and sanded 4 sheets of OSB to work out my frustrations. I guess I'll just try an oil based outdoor primer and see what that does.:dunno:

Well Jeff you are pretty busy with your cano's. Looks very good to me.
Socializing, that's what I have to do this weekend, well when you have a big family...)))

Spent Saturday morning rewiring the low voltage lights in the front yard. We'd added a new transformer and a few lights to one of those "kits" and between the 16 g wire and a number of splices from changes having been made, the lights at the end of the circuit were barely discernable as being illuminated. Got a hundred feet of 12 g wire and had about 2 feet left after the last light was attached. Too good to be true, I know, but turned out to be an omen.

Needed to mow and put down fertilizer and started off right off the bat having trouble with the mower. Just used it last week and it worked fine. Turns out that some how or other one of two bolts holding the bracket for the carb got busted and the vibration or something caused the plastic intake manifold to break. Plastic intake manifold? Can you belielve it? CAd it then wrapped JB weld around that and it lasted for about three trips around the back yard before it broke again. So much for mowing. Went ahead and edged.

Got the fertilizer down and the water started after Church Sunday, then began working installing the new filter box/spillway for the waterfall in the back yard. Got the plumbing part done, but it's gonna take some masonry work to refit the waterfall to the wider spillway.

Closest I came to woodworking the whole weekend was going through the scrap bucket for some mesquite pieces to throw on the charcoal grill to add a little gusto to the steaks.

Confirmed, (after much chasing about and phone calling), that NOT ONE finishing supplier in this whole town stocks Zinser's "Seal Coat". Seems the different stores carry from one or two of their products to All of them EXCEPT Seal Coat.:bang::bang: I really wanted to try it as a sealer/primer on the OSB to see if it would keep from raising the strands like the waterbased primer does. I was so disgusted, I just came home and sanded 4 sheets of OSB to work out my frustrations. I guess I'll just try an oil based outdoor primer and see what that does.:dunno:
Even the blue and orange borgs? I can usually find some there.

3 down, 28 to go

Spent a portion of the weekend working on drawers for a bedroom built-in project I started 5 years ago. (no, don't say it - I know:() After I get a finish on these and get them installed I only have 28 more to go!
DSC_2179 (494 x 744).jpg DSC_2180 (744 x 494).jpg

I also built two bulletin boards for church, did some lawn work, fixed a flat tire on the LOML's bike, got both bikes out and cleaned and oiled everything, and a few other odd jobs. Not a bad weekend, productivity wise.:)

Started my second low coffe table, got the lumber, cut it, and started to to glue the main pieces before making any important cut yet.

Post with pics coming soon...

Got to pack MIL into my trailer Friday night. Had a crew party Saturday, Sunday i got the joy of unpacking MIL into her new apartment. (ALL DAY):(:rolleyes:

Even the blue and orange borgs? I can usually find some there.

Yeah Rennie, the Orange box was one that had everything BUT Sealcoat.:rolleyes: The Blue Box Store here is still under construction and I just couldn't see wasting $8.00 of gas to drive to the one in Midland without knowing for sure that they had some of it. I'll sure be glad when the Blue Box gets open here. I had even called a few places to see if they carried it or not, and two said yes, but when I got there, they had Zinser, but NOT Sealcoat.

Those drawers you made really look nice.:thumb: (Hand cut dovetails:huh:)???:D Mine probably wouldn't look that good with a jig.:D

Last edited:
Those drawers you made really look nice.:thumb: (Hand cut dovetails:huh:)???:D Mine probably wouldn't look that good with a jig.:D
Well, I held the router with my hands, does that count? :rofl::rofl: I still have a couple dozen or more of these to go in 4 different sizes. If I had to cut those dovetails by hand I'd probably take another 5 years to finish!

Sorry you're having trouble finding seal coat. The last time I bought it - also remember having trouble tracking it down, I purchased a gallon - special order from orange. If you follow this route make sure they understand you want the specific type. No one at the counter understood me when I said, "dewaxed" but I was able to show them on their screen which one I wanted. Would not hurt to take along a printout of the Zinser web page on sealcoat.

Just a thought - do you have a Sherwin Williams store nearby? Might be worth a shot.