Hello

I am a new member about to assemble a workshop in our southwest Vermont basement, after a long layoff from woodworking. My current list includes a Bosch 4100 table saw, Bosch 1617evspk router with a Bosch table, Makita 10" sliding compound miter saw, Kreg pocket hole set, P-C dovetail jig, and an assortment of clamps,squares,and alignment tools. Maybe a biscuit cutter and drill press, but initially no planer or jointer or fixed sanders. I like what I read about PSI dust collection units, but more thought needs to be given to that issue.

We're new to Vermont (bought last June) and I'd appreciate any referrals for supplies, groups, etc. Also, if anyone has had problems with any items on my wish list, please let me know. Thanks.

Welcome Tony. You will find no shortage of advice here. The "correctness" of your choice in tools will depend on:
1. What you are planning to do or make.
2. The space you have to do it in.
3. Your own preference.

Now, understanding that most information is tainted with the provider’s viewpoint let the games begin ;-)

If you are going to make items using solid wood and do not want to be limited to what the store has to offer, a jointer and planer will be essential. If you are going to be primarily using sheet goods and veneers it will be easier to get by without tools to flatten solid materials.

You will hear many folks say that if they were to do it again, their dust collection system would be one of the first purchases, not a purchase further down the line. Dad has a 2HP PSI single stage and it really has some pull. If you go the single stage route this is a good priced unit. I run a 1HP Delta and it is good for one (and only one) machine at a time but it is definitely on my short list of upgrades due to its lack of power.

My brother has the Bosch (an older model) and it is one of the finest jobsite saws I have seen. I'll assume you need to fold it up and put it away when it is not in use and given this challenge you have made a good choice. The 4100-09 has a great guard system but does push into the price range of a contractor's saw.

If you are going to leave the saw set up I would spend the money you are paying for that well designed folding leg system and put it into a different type of saw. A contractor's saw would get you away from the universal motor, give you a larger table surface and (potentially) a better fence or the ability to mount one. However, the fold up and put away option goes out the window.

This is a good place to pause and say that all this info is free and worth every penny. I may mention something or recommend a tool that has nothing to do with what you want to do in your shop ;-) Just take anything that may be useful here and chuck the rest.

On the DP, a floor unit takes up about the same space as a benchtop and there is no comparison. Your small router table and dovetail jig call for a good bench but I don’t see it on your list. IMHO a bench is as important as any other tool and should not be short changed.

The sliding CMS will help with all that molding that you must be planning. If you are not planning on a lot of that sort of work (kitchen remodel, crown molding in the formal dining room, etc.) you could direct that money elsewhere. I have a small CMS and it is great for when it is needed. It does not replace the TS for accurate miters, crosscuts and such. I would not want to be without it but, if I were starting out again, it would be farther down on the list.

I must have had too much coffee this morning. I am really rambling on. In a nutshell, I (and this has nothing to do with you) would start from scratch like this (the first few items could come in any order):

1. Cyclone
2. Table saw or Band saw
3. Jointer
4. Planer
5. Router(s) and table
6. Workbench
7. DP
8. Marking and measuring
9. Clamps
10. etc., etc., etc.

It is so hard to place the first few items in any kind of order. Lighting and electrical could come first, for example. Many of these things will depend on your space, what you want to do in it and how you want to achieve it. Who knows, you may go Neander or slip over to the darkside of the Spinny world. Above all have fun and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks, Glenn.

We're going up north in two weeks, when the ordering will begin. The DC system will be the first permanent installation; I just have to pick one. At this point, I'm leaning towards PSI DC2V2, but I may be able to use something a bit smaller. The prior owner built two benches which I will evaluate and replace or improve as needed.

My first project will include flooring and base trim, and I think the Makita will be set up in the garage for a while before it goes down to the shop room. I anticipate using mostly good veneer plywood for cases initially, and there is a local shop where I can get solid wood planed down if I need it.

Your point about the table saw is well taken. I have enough room for a fixed saw with belt drive, but I didn't want to spend as much as they cost. I started out looking at less expensive worksite units like the DeWalt and Ridgid units, and initially settled on the Bosch 4000, which can be had for under $500. Then I looked at the 4100, and price creep caught up with me. I'll think it over again.

Thanks for your good input. Tony

Then I looked at the 4100, and price creep caught up with me. I'll think it over again.

Ah, price creep . . . my arch enemy. The voices in my head go something like "but for only $xx.xx more you could have this". that's kinda why I mentioned a fixed base saw unless there was a driving need for a fold up. Once you break that $500 barrier your choices open up a bit. Then they open up again over $1000. Been through that internal argument as well :doh:.

Despite many folks best intentions and good information I still cut corners on a couple items. I have since replaced them with usable ones and of course the cost of buying an "almost" machine first still stings. On the other hand, there a lot of tools I don't have because I either don't have the cash or I can't really qualify my desire to get a (insert tool here) :rolleyes:.

The CMS will definitly pull its own weight in doing any kind of trim work so that makes good sense. Sounds like you've got a fun project or two ahead. Enjoy!

Tony,

First, where in Vermont? (we have family up there, near Mt Ascutney). Ever spent an actual winter there? ;) How are you heating the shop?

Second, how big is your basement? That would help.

Third, are you sure you need a table saw? If you're cutting up sheet goods mostly, you might do well with an ezsmart or festool solution... and a nice bandsaw goes a long way... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Welcome to the family Tony!
I have the dewalt dw744x I replaced a delta 10" contractors saw with it and I will tell you that it cuts 10 times better than the delta did brand new. It has a rack n pinion fence that comes off easy and is dead on every time. Unlike my delta that you had to adjust the fence and line it up with the blade every time.
As for the chop saw if it where me I would look at a hitachi c10fsh. Could be up to 30 or 40 bucks cheaper and just as good or better saw. I ran makitas for years but the last one I got was the hitachi c12lsh and love it. I still have my big makita but the cut and accuracy that I get from the hitachi just can't be beat.
If I where to start out the list would go in order
1 ok to hard I would just have to take up knitting.:thumb::rofl:

Tony

Welcome aboard..

As far as the tools I have had very little buyers remorse over the years on tools. I usually bought for a specific job and bought what I could afford or find at the time. The other way I bought tools was when I had no regular payments over standard living expenses and each month I would just buy something fairly major I wanted.

I have bought tools I upgraded or was disappointed with, but still rarely regretted the purchase as at the worst they taught me what to avoid. I can also say that I often hear the old statement that you get what you pay for and I haven't found it to be true near all the time. I often find what I consider to be rather high priced to be close to junk. I just wish you really did get what you pay for and I wouldn't mind spending money so much..

I hope you enjoy sitting up your shop and using it even more.
Garry

Gee man... that's a good way to start. Wellcome to the family Tony.

and remember the motto of this forum is " no pics, didn't happen" we love pics:D

EZ Smart

Tony,

First, where in Vermont? (we have family up there, near Mt Ascutney). Ever spent an actual winter there? ;) How are you heating the shop?

Second, how big is your basement? That would help.

Third, are you sure you need a table saw? If you're cutting up sheet goods mostly, you might do well with an ezsmart or festool solution... and a nice bandsaw goes a long way... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I am tempted by the EZ Smart system. I have not-so-fond memories of my old Craftsman Kickback 10, and some of the things it tried to do to me years ago. Do you have any experience with that stuff? If I thought I could rip a good edge on a good sheet of ply, and some hardwood edging to make a good joint, I'd consider it.

We're in Arlington, way down in the southwest corner of the state. I have about 900 square feet of the basement available for tools and tables, plus room in an adjacent storage area for the dust collector and wood storage. Should be enough room.

Thanks again. Tony