Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this Forum

London, Ohio

New to this Forum

Good Morning Friends,

Allow me to introduce myself; I am Ralph Jones and being Welsh I started serving my apprenticeship under my grandfather as it was the tradition that when a boy turned 13 he would start his apprenticeship in the family trade.
    I am the forth and last generation of woodworkers in my family where even though I am supposed to be retired, I am still making furniture in the contemporary and Arts and Crafts style.

Come the 16th of this month I will be in the woodworking field for 60 years. I served my appreniceship for ten years before my grand father would have considered me a journeyman.

I worked 17 years in the Carpenters and Joiners Union with the last 5 in teaching the apprenticeship program and from there to Tolles Technical Institute where I taught Vocational Carpentry for 3 years and then from there where I taught the same program to inmates at the Madison Correctional Institute for 8 1/2 years for a total of 16 1/2 years of formal teaching.

I now write the WOOD Magazine Quizzes and Mind Benders on the WOOD ON LINE. I also am one of the Master Administrative Group on the Arts and Crafts Society Forums. I also am the Arts and Crafts Furniture forum host on Wood ON LINE.

If any one would have a question or anything dealing in woodworking please feel free to email me as my email address is in my bio.

Last edited by Ralph Jones; 04-13-2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    Ralph Jones

Delton, Michigan

Very impressive!

glad to see you choos "us" to join in with,(us) being the forum. welcome and look forward to the wisdom and expeirence you have to share.. you mentioned your the last generation ralph, but from the sounds you have many others you have passed on your knowledge to that will someday do the same.. thanks for joining and welcome..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome to the family Ralph!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Rio Rancho, NM
    Welcome to the Family, Ralph. Pull up a chair and pour a cuppa - we're glad to have you.

Nancy Laird
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Wellcome Ralph, visit your website, impressive.

DSM, IA
    Wecome to the family Ralph.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Welcome Ralph. Very glad to have you. It sounds like you will be a wealth of information and I really appreciate your offer to field questions.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Welcome aboard Ralph!

London, Ohio

Welcome to the forums

Good Evening Friends,
    I thank you each and every one for your hardy welcome and you can bet this will not be my only visit. In fact I think that I will remain logged in just incase anyone should have a question dealing in woodworking. All you have to do is first send me an email and I will come from WOOD ON LINE as soon as possible to be of any service I can to help this forum going and try to pass on any knowledge that may help anyone in your desire in woodworking.

Following is a few pieces of my furniture;
    Ralph Jones

Indianapolis area
    Welcome Ralph! I think you will like it here--nice people and good info. Speaking of good info, it seems you have much to share. Thanks for being part of the Family.

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi