New to this Forum

Ralph Jones

Good Morning Friends,

Allow me to introduce myself; I am Ralph Jones and being Welsh I started serving my apprenticeship under my grandfather as it was the tradition that when a boy turned 13 he would start his apprenticeship in the family trade.
I am the forth and last generation of woodworkers in my family where even though I am supposed to be retired, I am still making furniture in the contemporary and Arts and Crafts style.

Come the 16th of this month I will be in the woodworking field for 60 years. I served my appreniceship for ten years before my grand father would have considered me a journeyman.

I worked 17 years in the Carpenters and Joiners Union with the last 5 in teaching the apprenticeship program and from there to Tolles Technical Institute where I taught Vocational Carpentry for 3 years and then from there where I taught the same program to inmates at the Madison Correctional Institute for 8 1/2 years for a total of 16 1/2 years of formal teaching.

I now write the WOOD Magazine Quizzes and Mind Benders on the WOOD ON LINE. I also am one of the Master Administrative Group on the Arts and Crafts Society Forums. I also am the Arts and Crafts Furniture forum host on Wood ON LINE.

If any one would have a question or anything dealing in woodworking please feel free to email me as my email address is in my bio.

Respectfully,

Last edited:
Very impressive!

glad to see you choos "us" to join in with,(us) being the forum. welcome and look forward to the wisdom and expeirence you have to share.. you mentioned your the last generation ralph, but from the sounds you have many others you have passed on your knowledge to that will someday do the same.. thanks for joining and welcome..

Welcome Ralph. Very glad to have you. It sounds like you will be a wealth of information and I really appreciate your offer to field questions.

Welcome to the forums

Good Evening Friends,
I thank you each and every one for your hardy welcome and you can bet this will not be my only visit. In fact I think that I will remain logged in just incase anyone should have a question dealing in woodworking. All you have to do is first send me an email and I will come from WOOD ON LINE as soon as possible to be of any service I can to help this forum going and try to pass on any knowledge that may help anyone in your desire in woodworking.

Following is a few pieces of my furniture;

Attachments

• 100_0165.jpg
    100_0165.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_0167.jpg
    100_0167.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_0163.jpg
    100_0163.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_0164.jpg
    100_0164.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Corbels and Trim 1.JPG
    Corbels and Trim 1.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Corbels and Trim 2.JPG
    Corbels and Trim 2.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 18
Welcome Ralph!:wave::wave: I think you will like it here--nice people and good info. Speaking of good info, it seems you have much to share. Thanks for being part of the Family.

Hi Ralph, :wave:
Thanks for sharing your skills, talents and life with so many different folks. You are welcome here!
Shaz :)
Your corbels and trim remind me of the architectural embellishments on some of the finer homes of old, from my hometown in western Pa. Of course those colors are more San Francisco!:D

Welcome to the family Ralph!!

We are more than pleased to have you here. Having so much experience you might become overwhelmed with questions, (specially from me):):)

Welcome, Ralph. Thanks for sharing the pics of some of your work. Love that assembly table. :thumb: Those of us with limited shop space can surely benefit from one like that.

Welcome aboard, Ralph. :wave: 60 years, huh? Well, we were hopin' to add members with some experience, but I guess you'll just have to do. :rofl:
Looking forward to having your voice added to the choir. :thumb: You do some very nice-looking work.