Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: CA glue & Face plates

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Posts
    5,533

    CA glue & Face plates

    I'm watching the turning 101 episode about turning 101, in it David uses CA glue to attatch the waste block for the face plate to his blank. I was surprised to see that it held a 9" blank on his Oliver. Things to look forward to, though I'm saving for a barracuda in the 'near' future.
    -Ned

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,831
    You can also try ordinary hot glue. But must use an aluminum faceplate. Once on, can't be removed with an act of Congress.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Posts
    5,533
    I expect I'll go straight to using a chuck in the end. Seems so much more convenient, and I can get a tommy-bar style one for what, $50?
    -Ned

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Drums, PA
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    I'm watching the turning 101 episode about turning 101, in it David uses CA glue to attatch the waste block for the face plate to his blank. I was surprised to see that it held a 9" blank on his Oliver. Things to look forward to, though I'm saving for a barracuda in the 'near' future.

    I've CA glued waste blocks to 16" bowl blanks and then proceeded to core out the centers. I haven't had one break yet.

    I know Bill Gumbine uses hot glue that he melts in a shallow plate that he heats on a hot plate (If you are reading this Bill, Congratulation Grampa)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Posts
    5,533
    guess the 9" or so maximum blanks that will fit on my Midi will be fine then. Hmmm. something to think about. Kewl, thanks!
    -Ned

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    383

    Warning!!

    I have heard from several turners that the barracuda chuck is not what they expected. They were very disappointed. You might want to start a new post polling barracuda owners just to make sure it's really what you want.

    Hutch

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Drums, PA
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    guess the 9" or so maximum blanks that will fit on my Midi will be fine then. Hmmm. something to think about. Kewl, thanks!
    One thing I should have mentioned, the two mating surfaces must be perfectly flat.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Posts
    5,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    I have heard from several turners that the barracuda chuck is not what they expected. They were very disappointed. You might want to start a new post polling barracuda owners just to make sure it's really what you want.

    Hutch
    Hutch,
    thanks for the tip. I am fortunate enough to have access to a barracuda to test drive. Mark k has the same model lathe as I do, and he already has a Barracuda in his shop. Neither of us have used it as yet (that I know of at least), but the shop is open now, so it will only be a matter of time.

    I'll post results and thoughts on it once we start turning in earnest.
    -Ned

Similar Threads

  1. Cyanoacrylate glue vs super/krazy glue, loctite glue, etc
    By Mike Gager in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-20-2016, 09:53 PM
  2. Name Plates
    By Marshall Border in forum Flatwork Project Showcase
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 05:35 AM
  3. Offering Plates in Oak
    By Ted Calver in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 01:48 AM
  4. Coaster Plates
    By Stuart Ablett in forum Handtool Project Showcase
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 06:40 PM
  5. Face to Face Glue-ups Without Sliding
    By glenn bradley in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 05:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •