Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look what I found for $20!

Look what I found for $20!

Hi everyone,
    On the way to Home Depot for Wasp/Hornet/Yellowjacket spray (nasty little buggers built a nest in my loft and every time I got to get wood they dive bomb me!) I just "happened" to stop off at the local Flea Market in Lambertville NJ.

At first I thought it would be a bad day because so few vendors were there. But I persevered. I walked the entire concourse and on the way back to my car took a detour through a row I had missed on the previous pass.

Lucky for me I did! I found a Bedrock 605 in somewhat solid shape. It's got some surface rust, a chipped tote and cracked knob. It's also missing the knob hardware. All of these problems are easily fixable. I already have a replacement knob (from an pre WWII No5 parts plane). The chipped tote is easy enough to fix. So all I need to do is clean up the body and then get some brass hard ware for the knob.

Oh, I forgot the best part. I got it for $20!

From the same vendor I also picked up a 60 1/2 for $5 that is only missing the lever to open and close the mouth (which I already have!). I also got a scraper blade for a #12 for $1.

Not bad, eh?

See ya around,
    Dominic
    See ya around,
    Dominic

Did ya wear a mask when you robbed the guy, Dom?

No mask necessary!

After I purchased it, I told him how happy I was. I also gave him a heads up that the minty Stanley Butt Gauge he had was worth more than the $3 he was asking! He had a Millers Falls No7 there that was missing the lever cap, iron and blade. If I didn't already have a 607 and a Union No7 I'd have grabbed that as well!
    See ya around,
    Dominic

At first I was a bit envious. Then I have to remember all the deals I have gotten. Heck, I would have gladly paid $20 for the block plane around here! But I never see any.

Bedrock?? Around here? Yea right.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Wow! Talk about timing. Congrats on the new additions. I'm with Jeff; never see any around here, either.
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Dom, you're a thief!

Hey, bring that 605 to Five Barns this Summer, and I'll give you back your $20 - says one thief to another!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Hi Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Dom, you're a thief!

Hey, bring that 605 to Five Barns this Summer, and I'll give you back your $20 - says one thief to another!
    Jim,
    I may do just that! Especially if they have that planing contest again!

BTW, remember that wooden Union Warranted jack plane with the WM Butcher Iron I had with me last year? If you recall a bunch of us were sitting around trying to get it to work without the shavings jamming in the throat. I finally tweaked the wedge by parring down the "points". Now the throat doesn't jam with shavings and I've been using it. Man it works nicely!

I'm actually quite thrilled with this latest acquisition. I have a 605C that I REALLY enjoy using. Now this 605 can be part of the team. Looks like I'll be selling off my Bailey #5 and 5C soon!

This turned out to be a real good day for me. Not only did I score these bad boys, but I really got a lot accomplished on my tool cabinet. It's finally starting to come together. I can't wait to post photos of the completed project.

See ya around,
    Dominic
    See ya around,
    Dominic

Just a weird stroke of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Laird View Post
    Wow! Talk about timing. Congrats on the new additions. I'm with Jeff; never see any around here, either.
    Trust me, I thought I'd NEVER see and Bedrocks at a flea market that didn't have 3 figure price tags. Especially in the area where the flea market is held. This one caught me totally by surprise. I guess it was just my turn.
    See ya around,
    Dominic

Nice score!

Well Dominic, I think you are a smart guy, I think I make an appointment with you for the next time, who knows how that will turn out, maybe in a pub.
    Cheers, Ad