Finally made a sphere....

I got a new Rikon mini lathe this weekend, and here's my first project: a wooden sphere. I have always wanted to make one, but my other lathe just didn't spin fast enough. (It's a big old pattern maker's lathe from the 1880s) This one is 2.5 inch in dameter and made of sycamore.

As I was searching the net for articles, I couldn't find much info on tool selection and technique. There was a lot out there on the methods people use to make spheres, but not much else. Anyone have recommendations or tips on technique? Thanks.

Hutch

P.S. Should I post this question in the General Q and A forum?

Attachments

• Sycamore Sphere2.JPG
    Sycamore Sphere2.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Hutch, nice sphere! I think you've got it down pat. I don't have any info on tools and technique for making a sphere, but I don't think you need it anymore. Well Done. :thumb:

matt, looks good...and looks difficult. why not tell us how you held it in the lathe? did you use a 'template' to check progress? i can see making several of those in contrasting woods for display in a bowl...a good way to use small leftovers.

Selling Options

Yes, I definitely have though about a croquet set or bocce(sp?) ball set. The tricky part would be to get them close enough to the same size that you couldn't tell the difference. I will continue to work on the techniques involved, and hopefully I will come up with a reliable system. If I get efficient at making them, I will post a thread with the details.

As far as what I know now, it's outlined nicely here:

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Projects/balls.html

Here are the friction cups that I used. They're ok, but I think that I would have had an easier time if the left one was larger. This would create more stability, which allows for easier and more accurate truing. The small one fit right into the tail center after I removed the center point.

Hutch

Attachments

• Drive Chuck.JPG
    Drive Chuck.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Tail Chuck.JPG
    Tail Chuck.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 26