Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enclosed dust collector shed

Enclosed dust collector shed

Hello all,
    I live in Ohio where winters can be mild to cold. Summers are always warm. I only heat my uninsulated shop on the weekends in the winter. Now that you know the temperture extremes and conditions of my shop here is my question. Right now I have a 3hp grizzly dual bag dust collector taking up a big chunk of real estate inside my shop. A couple years ago I built a small extension to the outside of the shop to put in my big compressor. What kind of problems would I face if I did the same thing with the dust collector. Moisture/midew problems? Benifits would be quiter operation and much needed space. Cons would be going outside to empty the bags. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Virgil

Virgil, is the shed vented back into the shop? If not, you'll be sucking out some of the heated air in the winter. May or may not be a big deal, depending on how often and how long your dust collector is running. I know some guys have added a vent between the shop and the shed to return some of the heated (or cooled, depending on the shop) air back into the shop.

I'd love to have my DC and compressor in a separate enclosure.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

As Vaughn pointed out, the big issue is that you'll lose heat if you dont' have some sort of air return to the main shop. That, and remembering to empty it on a regular basis. I'm considering the same thing, and my shop is only 12 x 20', so it is either going up in the loft, or out on a bump-out with a 'window' cut in the side of the building for both air return and visual check the bag duty.
    -Ned

No worries of losing heat to the enclosure. My shop is 24 X 36 and filled to capacity. The only opening between the shop and the inside of the enclosure would be where the ductwork and electrical went through the wall. I was thinking if I added styrofoam insulation to help quiet it down even more, would the insulation maybe make it sweat in summer or winter and draw moisture into the bags? Right now my shop is unheated and uninsulated and plenty of air space and I never have any problems. If it was confined with out any airspace is what worries me. I would hate to end up with mosture and mold growing in the bags. Same worries me about the short run of duct work that would be there.
    Virgil

virgil,
    by loosing heat they`re talking about the "x" number of cfm that you`ll remove from the shop and exhaust outdoors (or into your shed).....
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Tod's right. It's not a matter of running out of air in the shop, it's about pulling your heated air out of the shop and blowing it outside. As the DC pulls air into the shed, cold air will be pulled into the shop (through every crack and other opening) to replace it. If you have a vent between the shed and the shop, most of the warm air that's removed from the shop by the DC will go back into the shop after the DC has done its work.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well. now that makes sense. Never thought about it that way. That's why these forums are so helpful. My fellow woodworkers might have been down the same road and might have experiencened something I didn't even add to the equation. I just hope theres something else I'm not overlooking.

Hi Virgil,

Folks are steering you in the right direction with the 'heat loss' issue. If you have time and are so inclined, you might want to have a read through the dust collection section of my "Birth of a Shop" thread. Here's a link that will take you directly there: linkie...

Granted, my dust collector is probably way bigger than anything you have in mind, but the concepts are the same. Since my shop is air conditioned, and my DC was going to be in a shed behind the shop, I HAD to find a way to return the conditioned air back into the shop. My solution was to cut two holes through the wall of the shed that lead directly into the conditioned section of the shop.

Let me know if you have any specific questions if you go through my thread.

Good luck...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

suuuuure, post that link two days After I dredge through the thread and find the DC section.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    suuuuure, post that link two days After I dredge through the thread and find the DC section.
    ned, if you remember that`s the second half of that thread
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]