Thread: General 650 Start Up ????

General 650 Start Up ????

Ok this is a stealth gloat. But since I don't have pictures it may not have happened!

I just finished moving my 650 into my basement shop. Pretty easy overall, but I'll wait until I post the picts to tell you about that.

The question I have for the General owners is my saw thumps a little at start up. The belts seem fine, I get about a 2 inch separation when I squeeze them together and the twist about a 1/4 of a turn. I remember reading in other posts that some motors tend to thump. Is this normal for the Baldor and General saws? How tight should the belts be?

Overall the saw is impeccable! The fit/finish and tolerences are fantastic. This is going to be one of my favorite tools.

mike, if it runs smooth after it`s started and up to speed i wouldn`t worry about it.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

mike mine doesnt thump, and i wont be able to look the belt tension till later today but it runs fine.. you will like yours.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Mine does not thump. And, the seperation on both belts when squeezed is about two inches -just like you observed on yours.
    Cheers, Frank

Thanks guys. I'll recheck the belt tension and maybe drop the motor a fraction to see if that does not take care of it. Once running it purrs. The thump is not loud, but I just wanted to make sure it was or was not normal.

What do you guys do for aftermarket miter guages and jigs fitting in the T-slot? I noticed that on my Incra miter guage, the T bolt at the end that fits into the T-slot on the table is a fraction too thick. I was going to grind it down a little. The same is true for my Delta tenoning jig.

About the after-market stuff in the slots: I have a mitre guage from Jessem that fit perfectly and a sled from Inra for which I had to file down the bolt.
    Cheers, Frank

Trinity County - 160 miles north of San Francisco. Redwood forest.
    Mike, my new General 350 with a 5hp makes a slight thumping sound at start up. Extremely smooth running after that.

I use a WoodHaven miter gauge adaptor on the General base, so there's no issue with fitting in the miter slot. I know that it is sensitive to accumulated sawdust in the slot.

Gary Curtis