Thread: Thinking Out of the Box

Thinking Out of the Box

I love building my own tools. As a matter of fact I am in the process of making my own wood lathe (time has been an issue). Now, I am buying a better table saw. However, my current contractor table saw is not old at all. Indeed it has just a few hours of work. I know that I can keep it just in case I need to do a work outdoors. However, since this is just a hobby I am not going to do any outdoor job. So at this point I am brainstorming to see if modifying this table saw I can come up with a total different tool. Any expirience or idea. This might be a fun project. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Alfredo

I'd bet it could be made into a pretty accurate disk sander. I think I've also seen pictures of a rig someone attached to a tablesaw arbor to power a small horizontal drum sander.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Interesting idea. Myself I was always disenchanted with the tablesaw as it only moves in two axis. I always thought a radial arm saw frame had alot more unique possibilities.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Alamo View Post
    I love building my own tools. As a matter of fact I am in the process of making my own wood lathe (time has been an issue). Now, I am buying a better table saw. However, my current contractor table saw is not old at all. Indeed it has just a few hours of work. I know that I can keep it just in case I need to do a work outdoors. However, since this is just a hobby I am not going to do any outdoor job. So at this point I am brainstorming to see if modifying this table saw I can come up with a total different tool. Any expirience or idea. This might be a fun project. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Alfredo

many moons ago i "fixed" an old contractors saw to work for me......i added a 5hp motor, cast iron wings, extention tables and a good fence....i was able to use it to make money
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Shop Notes had a plan for a drum sander that fix on a saw table. If you have a need for a planer that would be a good idea.

Alfredo, how do you come along with your lathe. Like it, if possible, to see some work in progress pictures. I'm very interested to see your building process.

Ad

Alfredo, I'm with Ad....we want some pics of your lathe build if possible. Thanks in advance...
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Ad, Jeff I am in the process of rearranging my garage and Have not been able to do much with the lathe but I think that in a couple of weeks I am going to start again and I am going to take pictures of what I have so far. Right now I have everything piled up and cannot reach where the carcase is
    Last edited by Alfredo Alamo; 04-18-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Alfredo, your shop isn't clean? My wife looked into our garage last night and said, "How can you get anything done in here" and just rolled her eyes. I would assume the good thing is that the carcase isn't small enough to lose. Like all three of my tape measures!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website