Thinking Out of the Box

Alfredo Alamo

I love building my own tools. As a matter of fact I am in the process of making my own wood lathe (time has been an issue). Now, I am buying a better table saw. However, my current contractor table saw is not old at all. Indeed it has just a few hours of work. I know that I can keep it just in case I need to do a work outdoors. However, since this is just a hobby I am not going to do any outdoor job. So at this point I am brainstorming to see if modifying this table saw I can come up with a total different tool. Any expirience or idea. This might be a fun project. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Alfredo

I'd bet it could be made into a pretty accurate disk sander. I think I've also seen pictures of a rig someone attached to a tablesaw arbor to power a small horizontal drum sander.

Interesting idea. Myself I was always disenchanted with the tablesaw as it only moves in two axis. I always thought a radial arm saw frame had alot more unique possibilities. :dunno::dunno::dunno::huh:

I love building my own tools. As a matter of fact I am in the process of making my own wood lathe (time has been an issue). Now, I am buying a better table saw. However, my current contractor table saw is not old at all. Indeed it has just a few hours of work. I know that I can keep it just in case I need to do a work outdoors. However, since this is just a hobby I am not going to do any outdoor job. So at this point I am brainstorming to see if modifying this table saw I can come up with a total different tool. Any expirience or idea. This might be a fun project. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Alfredo

many moons ago i "fixed" an old contractors saw to work for me......i added a 5hp motor, cast iron wings, extention tables and a good fence....i was able to use it to make money:eek:

Alfredo, how do you come along with your lathe. Like it, if possible, to see some work in progress pictures. I'm very interested to see your building process.

Ad

Ad, Jeff I am in the process of rearranging my garage and Have not been able to do much with the lathe but I think that in a couple of weeks I am going to start again and I am going to take pictures of what I have so far. Right now I have everything piled up and cannot reach where the carcase is

Last edited:
Alfredo, your shop isn't clean? :rofl::D My wife looked into our garage last night and said, "How can you get anything done in here" and just rolled her eyes. I would assume the good thing is that the carcase isn't small enough to lose. Like all three of my tape measures!:(:p