Thread: File Size Keeps Growing

File Size Keeps Growing

I know I'm missing something basic here...

I have a Sketchup file of my shop layout. It's about 4000KB in size. I know I've got lots of junk in it that is making it oversized.

Starting with that file, I deleted a bunch of unneeded components. (Select, then press <Del>.) I also tried to delete the layers those separate components were in. Then I drew a few lines to represent compressed air lines, and added a few valve components. Despite deleting things (or at least thinking I deleted them) the file continues to grow in size. It's now over 5700KB. I know I'm doing something wrong, but just don't know what it is. My SU skills are still real basic. I can usually get drawn what I need to draw, but I know I'm not doing it efficiently at all. Any suggestions?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, this is what I'm doing with my drawings created with autocad.
    First I export this drawing by selecting the drawing and save it as bitmap (bmp)file.
    Than I open this file in the ACD foto canvas (ACDSee)and save it as a jpeg file.
    Than you can do anything you want with this picture, like resizing.

Maybe this helps you?

Ad

I don't know how Sketchup files things but I too have my shop layout in sketchup. The main file is where I drew the building in. Each machine / bench is in a separate file that I import into the main file. This way, if I want to move a machine, I can put it up whole and move it around. The file size is currently 795 KB. Here's a jpeg of what it looks like
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Workshop (607 x 431).jpg  

Tony, BCE '75

Vaughn, skp has a "library" of all the components you use - not just the ones you see, but any that you used at all at any time and I believe they are stored in the model.

Go to Window > Components - it'll show the components panel. In the dropdown use "in model" and see what's all there. I'll bet you'll find a few of the things you thought you deleted in there.

I'm pretty sure there's a ruby script out there somewhere that runs through and cleans things up, but I'm not sure it does this. In the panel, again, right next to the dropdown is a menu button (the one looking kinda like an arrow pointing right), click that and the menu has a 'purge unused' item. That should get you closer to a smaller file size.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Ad de Crom View Post
    Vaughn, this is what I'm doing with my drawings created with autocad.
    First I export this drawing by selecting the drawing and save it as bitmap (bmp)file.
    Than I open this file in the ACD foto canvas (ACDSee)and save it as a jpeg file.
    Than you can do anything you want with this picture, like resizing.

Maybe this helps you?

Ad
    Thanks Ad. I can make .jpg files with no problems, but it's the source file (the file I still need to draw in) that I need to reduce in size.

Jason, you got it...I found the "Purge Unused" option in the Components panel:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Purge Components.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	19683

I knew there were old things that I thought I had deleted but were still hanging around...just couldn't find how to really get rid of them. That cut the file size down to 2500 KB. I'm sure it could still be cleaned up more, but I'll save that for another lesson.

Thanks much, both of you guys.

workingwoods.com

I've been kind of busy lately. Sorry for getting into this late.

Vaughn, There's also a Purge Unused for Materials, Styles and Layers. If you purged components that had materials applied to them, there's a good chance that you have some unused materials as well. I'll send you something to make all that easier.

Dave
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Cool...got it Dave. Thanks much. That knocked another 500KB off the size. (I had 100 or so unused materials.) I really appreciate everyone's help.

workingwoods.com

The PurgeAll plugin does a nice job.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke