File Size Keeps Growing

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I know I'm missing something basic here...

I have a Sketchup file of my shop layout. It's about 4000KB in size. I know I've got lots of junk in it that is making it oversized.

Starting with that file, I deleted a bunch of unneeded components. (Select, then press <Del>.) I also tried to delete the layers those separate components were in. Then I drew a few lines to represent compressed air lines, and added a few valve components. Despite deleting things (or at least thinking I deleted them) the file continues to grow in size. It's now over 5700KB. I know I'm doing something wrong, but just don't know what it is. My SU skills are still real basic. I can usually get drawn what I need to draw, but I know I'm not doing it efficiently at all. Any suggestions?

Vaughn, this is what I'm doing with my drawings created with autocad.
First I export this drawing by selecting the drawing and save it as bitmap (bmp)file.
Than I open this file in the ACD foto canvas (ACDSee)and save it as a jpeg file.
Than you can do anything you want with this picture, like resizing.

Maybe this helps you?

Ad :wave:

I don't know how Sketchup files things but I too have my shop layout in sketchup. The main file is where I drew the building in. Each machine / bench is in a separate file that I import into the main file. This way, if I want to move a machine, I can put it up whole and move it around. The file size is currently 795 KB. Here's a jpeg of what it looks like

Attachments

• Workshop (607 x 431).jpg
    Workshop (607 x 431).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 29
Vaughn, skp has a "library" of all the components you use - not just the ones you see, but any that you used at all at any time and I believe they are stored in the model.

Go to Window > Components - it'll show the components panel. In the dropdown use "in model" and see what's all there. I'll bet you'll find a few of the things you thought you deleted in there.

I'm pretty sure there's a ruby script out there somewhere that runs through and cleans things up, but I'm not sure it does this. In the panel, again, right next to the dropdown is a menu button (the one looking kinda like an arrow pointing right), click that and the menu has a 'purge unused' item. That should get you closer to a smaller file size.

Vaughn, this is what I'm doing with my drawings created with autocad.
First I export this drawing by selecting the drawing and save it as bitmap (bmp)file.
Than I open this file in the ACD foto canvas (ACDSee)and save it as a jpeg file.
Than you can do anything you want with this picture, like resizing.

Maybe this helps you?

Ad :wave:
Thanks Ad. I can make .jpg files with no problems, but it's the source file (the file I still need to draw in) that I need to reduce in size.

Jason, you got it...I found the "Purge Unused" option in the Components panel:

Purge Components.jpg

I knew there were old things that I thought I had deleted but were still hanging around...just couldn't find how to really get rid of them. That cut the file size down to 2500 KB. :thumb: I'm sure it could still be cleaned up more, but I'll save that for another lesson.

Thanks much, both of you guys. :clap:

I've been kind of busy lately. Sorry for getting into this late.

Vaughn, There's also a Purge Unused for Materials, Styles and Layers. If you purged components that had materials applied to them, there's a good chance that you have some unused materials as well. I'll send you something to make all that easier.

Dave

Cool...got it Dave. Thanks much. :thumb: That knocked another 500KB off the size. (I had 100 or so unused materials.) :rolleyes: I really appreciate everyone's help.