Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Set Up

Shop Set Up

I am looking to make my shop a little more worker friendly, I have my lathe against a wall. I was wondering if you guys had some pictures of your shop and tool storage so that I could maybe get some little design ideas.
    Thanks

Mike, this is my setup, although I'm constantly trying new ones as well. I had my lathe against a wall, but after my first hollow form, I moved it so I could stand on either side of the lathe. (tried sitting on it like a horse but that wasn't very comfortable either) Also moving it made cleaning easier, not that I do that very often.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20080106_0007[1].JPG  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Mike,

Have you checked out the "Shop Tours" forum? Lots of good stuff there - and lots of pictures.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Mike,

Have you checked out the "Shop Tours" forum? Lots of good stuff there - and lots of pictures.
    You mean this isn't the only forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sardo View Post
    You mean this isn't the only forum!
    I meant here+> http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...splay.php?f=18
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Mike here is my turning tool storage. It works pretty good and I PM'd you on how I made it. It is right within arms reach. I also built a enclosed shelf under my lathe for all the rest of my tools, chucks, livecenters, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Storage 1.jpg   Tool Storage 2.jpg   Nova DVR Bench 2.jpg  
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 04-18-2008 at 03:20 AM.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hi Mike,

I have some pics on my web site of my place. But be warned, it was only that clean for the pics. I have made some changes since then, but the basic lay-out is the same.

Best wishes,
    Dave

Here is a tool holder I made just the other day. The idea is from a fishing pole stand I made some time back. Works great and most shavings fall through.

I have the lathe chuck and wrenches etc., in a tool box that sits on a shelf under the lathe. Doesnit wook so good because I keep forgetting to close the lid and it is always full of chips. When I get my new lathe I think I will build a stand with covered storage underneath.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 04-18-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Here is a tool holder I made just the other day. The idea is from a fishing pole stand I made some time back. Works great and most shavings fall through.

I have the lathe chuck and wrenches etc., in a tool box that sits on a shelf under the lathe. Doesnit wook so good because I keep forgetting to close the lid and it is always full of chips. When I get my new lathe I think I will build a stand with covered storage underneath.

Hate to rob the string but Paul, I like your rendition, I also make a rod rack similar and had,t thought odf the chisels, Good thinking.

Back to the original Primus.... I can't offer my lathe set-up as it is on casters and rools about when not in use but in my experience in school shops, we found it takes up a bit more room but set at an angle to the wall allows the operator to walk around and approach from different angles which is especially helpful for hollow forms or deep bowls, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rathe View Post
    I am looking to make my shop a little more worker friendly, I have my lathe against a wall. I was wondering if you guys had some pictures of your shop and tool storage so that I could maybe get some little design ideas.
    Thanks
    I run two lathes and have the sitting in an "L" shape... the little one sits against the wall with the bigger one perpendicular to it, sitting in the middle of the room.. I don't have a really good photo of the set up though.. this shows how they are set up and the second is the work area behind the lathes.. I have my work benches set up in a "U" shape... my tools are at the end of the big lathe/head of little one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe 005.JPG   shop 004.JPG  
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.