Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife makers

Knife makers

Anyone hear make marking knives? I have a set of worn out planer blades and wondering if anyone could use them for anything? Shop is getting closer to the move and more and more stuff is going out.

Here's one I made a while back. I used an old recip blade. Fun project and very useful. Don't know how easily the planer knives will work.

That's a great looking knife Ed. I must have a dozen or more old blades around, hadn't thought of using them for something like that. Great idea!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Beatiful knife!
    It must be a joy to use. Congratulations!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Warrensburg, Missouri right behind the University of Central Missouri.
    Here is a Knife I made a couple years back. My brother-in-law has a shop with a forge and several other pieces of equipment (rescued from my father-in-laws garage). One is a late 1800's drop hammer, which was originally belt drive, but he added a motor. It sure beats hammering the steel by hand.

We forged the blank from some scrap iron and tin strips. Folding the steel resulted in over 250 layers. The blank was than twisted and hammered back into a blade blank. This resulted in a star pattern once the black was ground. The blade, hand guard and handle cap were all made from the same blank. The wood on the handle is African Cocobolo.

We need a forum on how to take pictures of our work. The pictures I took do not do the knife justis. Well enjoy.

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo-4.jpg   photo-5.jpg   photo-6.jpg  

photo-8.jpg   photo-9.jpg  

Wow Andy...now THAT'S a knife! Beautiful work, especially considering you forged your own Damascus steel.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thank you, I thought it did come out nice but it is not too practical so it sits in s shelf on display. This summer when I make it to Indiana to visit family I will attempt to make a Damascus and stainless steel pocket knife. A lot more complex but will love to carry it.

Andy

OK all here are a couple better pictures. Enjoy.

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo-5.jpg   pic-1.jpg   pic-2.jpg   pic-3.jpg   pic-4.jpg  

pic-6.jpg   pic-7.jpg  

Show off!

Just kidding! That's a beautiful knife! The damascus is great! If you do make the pocket knife, please take pics of the process, I'd love to see it!

Exellent knives Andy. Anyone intrested in these to make some marking knives out of? I will pay the shipping if you can make me one too.