New Planer Selection Help Needed

Bobby Dietz

I am a frequent reader of this board. There is a lot of great advice. I am in the market to purchase a portable sized planer. I have read so many posts on here and other review sites that I am on information overload. :huh: It is intended to surface rough stock to save costs on lumber. I would like to stay around the $250 range unless some feature is worth the additional cost. I do not mind refurbished tools from reputable companies I have done business with in the past. I am leaning towards a refurb Ridgid TP1300LS from cummins tools for $248.00. The anti-snipe and thickness pre-sets are a nice feature.

Below is a list of all the models I am considering. Thanks for any advice. :wave:

Ridgid TP1300LS refurb $248.00

Ryobi AP1301 $199.00

Dewalt DW735 refurb $379.00

Dewalt DW734 refurb $289.00

Delta TP305 $219.00

Delta 22-580 refurb $419.00

Bobby, I can't speak for any of the planers on your list except the Delta TP305, which I own. The label says "Shopmaster", but it should say "Snipemaster". It actually does a good job of planing, especially once I rigged a dust collection hood for it, but I have to figure on losing about 3" off the ends of any board that goes through it as the result of snipe. If I'm running several narrow boards, I can stagger them so I only get snipe on the first and last board ends through the planer, but if it's a single piece, I automatically know I'm losing 6" in length to snipe.

Bobby,

I recently bought the DeWalt DW735 (wished I could've gotten a refurb at that price) and I love it. I've only used it on one project so far, a small side table made out of Walnut, but I am very impressed. I didn't get any perceptible snipe when moving the rough lumber to dimensioned. I truly looked close and couldn't find any. I've heard similar (very small snipe if any) from those who have this unit, too. Blade changing is simple with no extra tools. Quite a machine. Good luck.

Lowes was having a sale on the 735 and there is a $10 off coupon from them as well floating on woodnet.

I own teh 734 and it is great BUT SCREAMS. Also own a 20" Delta and Jet 13" planer/moulder but thoser are not on your list.

Bobby,

I have the ridgid. I never see snipe. Blade changing is easy. Wish it had two speeds, and three knives, but oh well. I would think most of them have some form of presets. It's the only planer I've ever had, but I've never said "I wish I'd gotten the other brand." Do you have a dust collector? It does make a heck of a mess.. ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Try to find something with a cutterhead lock. This is one of the most (if not the most) important feature to combat snipe. If you could find a used Ryobi AP1300 (note the different model number) it would be a great deal on a good planer for casual use. I have one of these and am quite pleased. The new model (AP1301) does not have a cutterhead lock like the old one did. I don't think the Ridgid has a cutterhead lock either. (But I could be wrong.)

Good luck!

Mark,

Excellent point. My ridgid does have a lock. I can't imagine using one that doesn't... ;)

To get away from the "I like mine" syndrome (and I'm guilty as charged on that subject), maybe it would be most helpful to compile a list of features a planer should have? I guess we already have a good start... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I would rule out the Ryobi, and the Delta TP305. I think you would be happy with any of the others.

I agree with Norman, which leaves the TP1300 as best bang for the buck in a full featured portable, followed by the DW734. $419 for a 22-580 refurb sounds really high to me. If you don't have a DC, the DW735 would be worth some extra money.

New Planer selection

I had a 13" Ridgid, which for me was a real workhorse. When I bought it I'd read many reviews and the Dewalt DW735 was # 1 and the Ridgid was #2. Well I chose the Ridgid and as I said I was extremely happy, my only complaint was I had to drive 65 miles to the nearest Home Depot to buy blades.

Being a spoiled child (even though I'm 71 years old) I always want the best, so I sold my Ridgid and bought a Refurb Dewalt. Two weeks later I tried to buy my Ridgid back. I kept complaining to the Dewalt sales rep that is was not as good as the Ridgid and he replaced the Refurb with a brand new Dewalt DW735.

The new Dewalt DW735 is good, but much more difficult to change blades and in my opinion not as user friendly.

I know of three people in the last 6 months that have purchased the Dewalt DW735 and have had to return them for various reasons, mostly roller problems. They have all purchased the Ridgid 13", which now has 3 blades for several hundred dollars less.

If I were to buy again , or had someone to buy my Dewalt I buy a Ridgid in a heartbeat

Jiggs Elphison

I have the Ridgid as well.
I have run a great many 2X4's through it for my shop tables and counters.
They came out smooth as a baby's hind end. :thumb:
I am going to keep it and bolt it to the top of the 20" planer to use for smaller work. ;)

DT

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Sorry I did not reply sooner. I was finishing fundraising for a walk event that was today. I checked everyones feedback this morning. I decided to go with the RIDGID® 13" Thickness Planer (TP1300) from Cummins tools / Tools Now. It was about $260.00 with tax. They were nice enough to help me load it. There was a few issues with assembly of the stand. The page with the instructions for that were replaced with their policy on refurbished items.... :doh: . The dust collection attachment may benefit from some foil tape as it does not seem to make an air-tight connection.