I deserve a slap upside the head

About two weeks ago I posted (either here or Woodnet) that I have my drill press next to my bandsaw so that I can use the DP table as outfeed support.

I just ripped an 8' long 1/2" plywood off cut (total width ~10"). When do I think to adjust the DP table height? Yep, that's right, when there's 2' left of cutting to go and I am getting a very poignant reminder on how to calculate torque of a lever arm. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Hopefully my confession of stupidity will help prevent it in others. Thankfully there were no injuries. I will freely accept all of the :doh: you want to give me.

Well, at least from everyone who has a roof over their shop! :rofl:

Hi Mark :wave:,
Thanks for your honesty and posting this thread. We all make blunders like that, in our quest to produce. Fortunately it is over and you are safe.
The more you do the more you will consider the big picture, the whole process of cutting that board, start to finish. It is opportunities like this that are mental gifts "to remember" or "do over" at a later date, possibly with not so good results.
Thanks, :thumb:
Shaz :)
PS...You will have to come to me to get that slap upside the head! It is a bit to far for me.:D:rofl:

Last edited:
For anyone that hasn't heard the story - the very first time Ned and I met was me offering to lend a hand building his shop. (I think the actual discussion was with a buddy who is on Woodnet, "You know that guy in Canastota been talking about building a shop for awhile now?" Me: "Yeah" "Well, he's actually putting it up - here's his number and how to get there if you're interested."

So, off I go, and I arrive the seeing the floor joists constructed and the task at hand is stapling some aluminim corrugated foil insulation in between the floor joists. I'm used to staplers like the Arrow T50 which is what I start using. Since we're stapling between floor joists, I hold the stapler by the non-stale end for added support. As expected, eventually the stapler runs out of ammo (why don't they make a belt-fed stapler? :rofl: ).

Instead of just reloading, I get handed a freshly loaded http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00968514000P. Please not that the staples come out the other end relative to the handle angle. I manage to do a few safely and then habit kicks in and I'm holding the thing like I would the T50, with one hand on top for support and BLAMMO! I have a 9/16" staple in my hand.

This same staple gun then got Ned's wife (who happens to be an EMT and patched me up) about a half hour later and then the mutual buddy that directed me to Ned's within the week. This is why the big bold red font is used for "stapled" in Ned's post. If we ever need to use that staple gun again I think I am going to ask Niki to design us a safety jig! :rofl:

Anyhow, the moral of the story is, if you want to make a WWing friend for life, invite them over to help them build your shop and make sure they get hurt using your tools while doing so. If they bleed on the project, they are more likely to stick around to see it done! :rofl:

here's what things looked like at that point in time:
Linky

DSC00380.jpg

What about two smashed fingers and 3 stiches?:eek: That is what my freind gopt a few weeks ago moveing my molding machine into the new shop.

As far as bone headed mistakes, well If you ask my wife she will say that 90% of my attemps end up like this.:thumb: That number goes up when my best freind comes over to help(same buddy w/smashed fingers).:dunno:

Oooooo.......That's gonna leave a mark! :rofl::rofl:

Good thing Ned is a good sport in all of our teasing.....:thumb:

If I lived closer I would gladly go over and help him get finished up.....heck, if I went over and messed up Larry's shop a couple of times, I can do it for anyone....specially brother Ned!

i didn't know we had warm days in december:D:rofl::p
just a few, but the feds had my working capital at the Capitol at that point
:rofl:Don't look like a lot has changed in 16 months ......:rofl::p

ouch that smarts :eek::rofl::rofl:

i can say it has changed alot in that time ......i was there last fall and distinctly remember floor , walls , and roof rafters ;) and then our locally famous 8 month winter season started :doh:;)
Not to mention the actual Project has only been going for 11 months...
Oooooo.......That's gonna leave a mark! :rofl::rofl:
you ain't just whistling dixie
Good thing Ned is a good sport in all of our teasing.....:thumb:

If I lived closer I would gladly go over and help him get finished up.....heck, if I went over and messed up Larry's shop a couple of times, I can do it for anyone....specially brother Ned!

Steve, just knowing you would if you were closer makes the day better. Thanks Brother!