model number?

I just got a used delta 14" bandsaw and I cannot find the stupid model number on this thing to save my life can anyone point me in the right direction please. This is my first bandsaw and I am somewhat new to the woodworking scene.

Last edited:
The current Delta code number for bandsaws is 28. So you are looking for a number that is 28-XYZ. There should be a little box somewhere on the machine that also has the serial number, possibly a bunch of patent numbers, etc.

ok here is the pictures of my bandsaw. It is not brand new but new to me. Yes I know it doesn't work if it is not plugged in but my garage is currently a storage shed not a shop...well for now that is. If anyone can help me out with the model number. I currently have only found serial numbers on the motor, the base, and the upper wheel housing. I just can't find anything that shows the model number. Thanks to all that can and have helped. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 28
Anson,

Mine is listed on the black label to the right of the tensioner, on the back of the saw, as Ed was referencing. Mine shows 28-245 in the upper right of the label.

Good luck.

well I did check mikestools.com on that 28-303 for the manual and it comes up as a metal cutting band saw so that is great does that mean it is to slow for wood cutting? Can I convert it to a wood cutting band saw? It came from a wood shop so it has been cutting wood I just have never had a band saw before so still have lots of questions. Thanks to all that have helped.

I'm no help on the model number, but I wanted to congratulate you on the new saw. The Delta 14" is what all the others are modeled after. Lots of aftermarket parts are made to fit it, too. (If you ever decide you want to soup it up a bit.) :thumb:

I'm not certain, but I think the only difference between cutting wood and cutting metal is the blade and the speed it's running. There are other guys gere who will know more specifics, but I'm betting you'll be able to make it work just fine for wood.

Hi Anson!

Nice saw, that one is a classic!

I'm sure that if it was a metal cutting saw, at some point it was converted to cut wood.

Go >> HERE << for the Surface Speed per Minute calculator and plug in the various sizes on your saw.

I'm sorry, but I forget what the "Best" speed is for a wood cutting bandsaw, maybe someone else can chime in here.......... :dunno:

Anson,

I, too, would bet they have already converted it to a wood cutting bandsaw. Kind of like in a drill press or a lath, get the correct sized pulleys at each end and viola, blade speed will be proper for wood. Also, I installed cool blocks in mine and they really helped prevent my blade from wandering. Since they are phenolic I run them lightly against the blade with no negative results. Enjoy the saw.

thanks everyone for the inputs and yeah I think it will be fine and I will make sure the speed is set to what I need. It currently has the phenolic cool blocks on it and a decent blade on it even though it looks dull. Plus to top it all off it was FREE. So I am not complaining...lol.