Hall Table Finished!!!

Ed Nelson

LOML decided a while back we needed a hall table in the foyer. Started this a few days ago, but decided I should post some pics of the progress. Hopefully that will incent me to get it done in a fairly timely manner!

This is the cabriole legs and front skirt dry fitted. Still have to do some shaping on the legs, but they are close.

IMG_0401.JPG

Once I have each side and the back legs fitted, I'll work on finishing up the shaping/smoothing and get started on the top. Still not sure what I'm going to do with the top!

Last edited:
Wow Ed, really gorgeous! Walnut, right? Cabriole is not my style, but I can sure appreciate the amount of work and artistry that goes into it! Please keep posting pics!

WoW Ed :wave:,
What a great start and thanks for going to the trouble to start us out with this project of your's too. More exciting to see things progressing even though it is harder for you, :dunno: Oh well, TUFF LUCK!!!:rofl::rofl: Keep posting!! EVERY HOUR!!!!:eek::rofl: Or else the VORTEX is going to suck up your parts and gk=lue them together in the familywoodworking vortex machine!:eek::eek::eek::doh::rofl::rofl:
Thanks Ed, Looks like walnut.
Shaz :)

It is walnut. I'm working on figuring out what I want to do with the side skirts to balance with the front. That won't be as much f a challenge as figuring what to do with the top! I have some spalted ambrosia maple glued up that I was originally planning to use, but it isn't really thrilling me. Toying with the idea of veneering the top and incorporating some type of inlay. You'll have to stay tuned to see what I figure out!

Hi Ed.

I can't stop my eyes going from your table to your bench and back to your table, both are great!!:):thumb:

I look forward to see the progress of your table, and when posting its pics take a wide angle lens so we can see a bit more of your bench as well!!:D

Ed,

Looking good. Is that a drawer opening staring at us? What dimensions are you planning for this table? Can't wait to see more.

Hi Ed.

I can't stop my eyes going from your table to your bench and back to your table, both are great!!:):thumb:

I look forward to see the progress of your table, and when posting its pics take a wide angle lens so we can see a bit more of your bench as well!!:D

Here you go Toni!

spence_may_0651.jpg

Ed,

Looking good. Is that a drawer opening staring at us? What dimensions are you planning for this table? Can't wait to see more.

Hi Lee, The table is going to be about 30" wide and only about 14" deep with a single drawer. I'd like to make it a little deeper but am constrained by the llocation it will reside at

Wow Ed, that is going to be nice, almost makes me want to do some flat work................. almost :D

Hey Stu! Welcome back!:wave:

Ed,

Some mighty fine work! If you don't mind, how are you cutting the tenons and the mortises? I like your design using what looks like dual tenons and a captured groove for the wide skirts. :thumb: Looks like you might have done this once or twice, huh?? :rolleyes: Look forward to seeing further progressions.

Regards,

Hi Lee, I cut the mortises the old fashion way, drill a couple holes and chiseled out the waste. I cheated a little with the tenons and nibbled away most of the waste on the table saw and fitted with a rabbet plane. I noticed something with the back legs I don't really like, but I don't know if it's worth fixing. The position of the mortises left the back legs standing a little too proud as compared to the front legs.

I noticed something with the back legs I don't really like, but I don't know if it's worth fixing. The position of the mortises left the back legs standing a little too proud as compared to the front legs.[/quote]

Hi Ed :wave:,
This is coming along real well.
As far as the back legs being proud, it is always your call as you are the creator. Myself, I don't have a problem with that design variance. Something you may consider in the creative process is to let your top be considerate of this leg difference.
I say that so as not to hinder, but rather help with a possible solution for your top on this piece.
Good luck,
Shaz :)

Thanks for the suggestion Shaz! I'm thinking I may round over the back legs into the skirt to mimic the cabriole legs in front. I had to pick up a little more walnut since I buggered up the back. I hope to have everything fitted for the base tomorrow and then get some final shaping done.

Ed,

What if you were to trim the outside face of the back legs by the amount they are too proud. Either way, likely no one will notice after the top is on. I agree with Shaz that it's your baby. Who will know what is and isn't a design element.

Regards,

Ed,

What if you were to trim the outside face of the back legs by the amount they are too proud. Either way, likely no one will notice after the top is on. I agree with Shaz that it's your baby. Who will know what is and isn't a design element.

Regards,

I thought about that, but the legs taper down to about a 5/8 square. I have about a 1/4" proud on the straight sides of the legs. If I trim that side down, I'll have less than 3/8" feet. I'm thinking that will be too small.

If I really couldn't live with the leg that proud of the skirt, I'd probably think about plugging the mortises. The positive would be that the plugged area would be to the interior of the skirts. Or, maybe you could reduce the leg dimensions only for the width of the skirt. It would mimic the front legs, to some small degree, as they are smaller for the width of the skirt and then blossom out. The larger section below the skirt could be rounded over. Maybe that was what you intended in your response to Shaz?

It would mimic the front legs, to some small degree, as they are smaller for the width of the skirt and then blossom out. The larger section below the skirt could be rounded over. Maybe that was what you intended in your response to Shaz?

That's exactly what I'm thinking about! I just didn't explain it as well as you did. Thanks!