Some More of Robert's Scrap Wood

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a while since I posted post some pics of finished pieces. (Waited until I had several to photograph before setting up the lights and tent.) This is some more maple I got from Robert Mickley. It's another nice curly piece with a bit of spalt mixed in for good measure. It's about 13 1/2" wide x 3 1/2" tall. The finish is my standard Antique Oil followed with lacquer and buffed.

Bowl 042 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 042 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 042 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 042 - 04 800.jpg

I've got more pics of other pieces that I'll share over the next few nights as I get time to post them. I'm trying to gear up for another show next weekend.

Comments, critiques, and questions are all welcome. :wave:

One heck of a nice piece of wood there, and you certainly showed it off nicely! :thumb:

Wow, just don't cut it.

Do you have a ballpark idea of how much you would sell something like that for?

Not meaning to be rude, don't have to answer, but I'm just curious is all, I'd think it would fetch a pretty penny or three :D

Cheers!

Stu, I'm figuring on between $200 and $250 for this one. I may end up owning it for a while before someone agrees with me on those numbers, but I don't think it's an unreasonable price for such a unique piece of wood. :) This stuff doesn't just grow on trees, ya know. Well, I guess it does, technically, but you know what I mean. :p

And thanks, Mike, for the kind words, too.

Amazing wood Vaughn! I would have to think that it would be sold to the very first person who saw it! Can't imagine passing that by! Very nice work! Let know how your show goes!

Vaughn,

Wow! That is an amazing piece and I love the choice of finish. What is the antique oil you spoke of? Is that a Tung oil or BLO with some added hues? Really made the curl pop. How many coats of each did you use?

Thanks,

...What is the antique oil you spoke of? Is that a Tung oil or BLO with some added hues? Really made the curl pop. How many coats of each did you use?

Thanks,
Lee, Antique Oil is a wipe-on oil/varnish blend from Minwax.

http://www.minwax.com/products/specialty_products/antique_oil_finish.cfm

It took me a few tries with this bowl to get an acceptable finish. I put a couple coats of Antique Oil on, let it cure for a few days, then started building light coats of spray-can lacquer...probably 3 or 4 coats. Then once that cured for a few days, I wet sanded with 600 grit, then buffed it out. At that point I saw some irregularities that I'd missed previously, so I sanded again, starting with 220 grit back up to 600 grit, then started the routine over (without the Antique Oil, since I hadn't sanded that deep). I think I must have repeated this cycle about three times before I got something that I was happy with. It's still not perfect, but I have to look pretty hard to find the flaws now.

vaughn, beautiful piece...you confirm my opinion that spending time on poor wood is not worth it.

wow, that's a lot of work for a finish. are you sanding with a device or by hand?

Stu,

Nice to see you back again - I hope you're doing well!

Vaughn,

That's a very impressive bowl - lovely wood!! The title of your post says "scrap wood". That's some nice scrap!!

cheers eh?

...are you sanding with a device or by hand?
Some of both. For aggressive removal, I use a 2" pad on a right-angle drill. For finer sanding I use a 2" pneumatic random orbital sander. I do the wet sanding by hand.

I've recently discovered that the Velcro pad on the pneumatic sander holds Scotch-Brite pads (both green and white) nicely. It's great for knocking off the dust nibs and evening out the sheen.

Thanks all for the kind comments. :thumb:

Lee, Antique Oil is a wipe-on oil/varnish blend from Minwax.

http://www.minwax.com/products/specialty_products/antique_oil_finish.cfm

It took me a few tries with this bowl to get an acceptable finish. I put a couple coats of Antique Oil on, let it cure for a few days, then started building light coats of spray-can lacquer...probably 3 or 4 coats. Then once that cured for a few days, I wet sanded with 600 grit, then buffed it out. At that point I saw some irregularities that I'd missed previously, so I sanded again, starting with 220 grit back up to 600 grit, then started the routine over (without the Antique Oil, since I hadn't sanded that deep). I think I must have repeated this cycle about three times before I got something that I was happy with. It's still not perfect, but I have to look pretty hard to find the flaws now.

Vaughn,

Thanks for the detail. I'll have to add this to my repertoire. Oh yeah, I wish my scraps looked like your scraps. :rofl: Again, great job.