Here's a piece I got from the neighbor's firewood pile. It's an ash root that he couldn't split. The hole in the side was originally a bit smaller, and framed with a bark inclusion, but it got away from me as I was turning off the last little bit of the tenon and knocked a chunk out of the side. Dirty words were said. It broke in such a way that gluing it was not an option, so I put a burr on the Dremel and "carved" the edge. For as gnarly and hard as the wood was, it turned pretty easily and cut cleanly. It's 9 1/2" wide by 5" tall, and finished with Antique Oil and a coat of spray can semi-gloss poly. I accidentally got a can of the waterbased stuff, and it sort of foamed out of the can and went on like a ceiling texture gun. I wiped it with a rag to even it out, and it still looked like...well...like something not good. I decided to let it sit and see if it evened itself out, and sure enough, it came out looking (and feeling) pretty decent.
Attachment 19830 Attachment 19831 Attachment 19832 Attachment 19833 Attachment 19834
Comments, critiques and questions are welcome, as always.