More tool cabinet progress photos

Dominic Greco

[SIZE=+2]Hello Everyone, [/SIZE]
Here are some more photos showing where I stand with my tool cabinet project.

I finished the glue up a couple weeks ago, then installed hardwood inserts at the mitered corners. This is a trick I picked up from an old copy of "Woodsmith". It helps to make the mitered corners look cleaner. After I completed that, I built a dovetail spline jig using an idea I saw in "Woodworking with the Router" by Bill Hylton.

spline%20jig.jpg

After I completed the jig, I cut the dovetail splines, then I milled up some walnut for the dovetail "keys". These were then installed with glue, allowed to dry, flush cut with a saw, then planed flush with a LA block plane.
tool%20cabinet%20-%20splines.jpg

I also made up a jig to help me get the drilling for the shelf support pegs as perfectly spaced as possible. I just used a piece of 1/4" hardboard and cut it to the width and height of the piece where the holes were to be drilled. I made some reference marks to make sure I always kept the correct orientation, and then drilled holes in it with the correct spacing. I then just clamped it in place and used a drill bit with a depth stop. If you notice, the side where the plane till will be (the side without the shelves installed) also received a set of holes. This is just in case I find that the plane till is not working out and that I want a cabinet totally comprised of shelves.
tool%20cabinet%20-%20shelves.jpg
tool%20cabinet2.jpg

I milled up the lumber for the drawers last night and will hopefully be able to finish them this weekend. After that, I'm on to working on the doors.

Wow :thumb:

I know lots of homes that do not have anything near as nice cabinets in them, those are really going to be something that will put a smile on your face, every time you turn on the lights in the workshop and you see them, VERY nice work! :clap:

That's looking great, Dominic. Like Stu said, better than what's in a lot of homes. :thumb: I like the dovetail additions to the mitered joints. I made a jig for cutting that kind of dovetail slots on the router table. In a way, it's the same principle as yours, but turned over 180º.

Samer here!

Thanks for the compliments!

..I made a jig for cutting that kind of dovetail slots on the router table. In a way, it's the same principle as yours, but turned over 180º.

I made the same jig and used it to make straight splines for small boxes. The design came from the same book. However, that jig is more flexible and will remain in my shop. This one is a "one and done" jig and will probably be recycled after this project.

Hi Dominic, that is a great piece of work and it is coming along real nice.
I look forward to see it finished and full of tools.

Actually it should motivate me to build my own one that I'm starting to need badly!

Only handtools

Thanks for the compliments!

What are you going to put in the shelf row with all the dividers, screws/nails/small parts?

GASP! Nails?! Screws!? In MY hand tool cabinet! heaven FORBID!!!:D

Nah! The shelves are meant for my other hand planes. Hopefully it will hold all of my hand planes as well as some of my other hand tools. The 3" deep box type doors (not yet completed) will hold saws, chisels, and other tools. The drawers (meant to be installed in the cavities under the plane cubbies) will hold layout tools, and assorted small hand tools.

Hey Dominic! That is looking very nice! I was going to ask why you went with the dovetail keys instead of true dove tails, but I suspect it's because of material choice. I really glad to see that you built a finite number of slots for the planes (when you exceed the alloted number, you can just forward the excess planes to me:D)

Nice cabinet! :thumb:
What are you going to finish it with. The wood looks handsome for a clear coat.

So says I from Adams County :wave:

Last edited:
Great looking cabinet Dominic! :thumb:

Don't let Momma see it, it will end up holding cups and plates! :eek:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT