Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scared of drawers

scared of drawers

I'm going to add some drawers to the reloading bench this summer. Partly to help me organize stuff and partly to learn how to use that PC dovetail jig that's been sitting on the shelf awhile now. I don't want to get into how long exactly, but it does predate Ned's shop. I've never made a drawer at all, jig or no jig.

I'm thinking to make them out of plywood for the invisible parts (sides, bottoms, backs) and maybe some soft maple for the fronts (I have a little maple on hand). Right now, the only router I have is a PC8529 plunge, 2.25 hp that mostly lives in the table. I would like to get a fixed base router, especially for the dovetail jig, but I don't know if it is in the budget. If I can squeeze one out, how important is variable speed for a fixed base unit that is a 2nd router? Would one of those Hitachi 2.25 fixed base units do well? Or would it be easier somehow to use a PC router with the PC jig?

Next, what should I be reading and thinking about as I contemplate drawers? I feel like the biggest newbie here as far as actually using my tools.

Thanks!

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven
    http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/fil...layer&temp=yes

Here is a video that saved me when I needed to learn how to make drawers. if for some reason this link doesn't work go to Woodmagazine.com

Good luck
    Jiggs Elphison

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven
    Here's another guide for drawers....
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki.../011045032.pdf

Jiggs Elphison
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 04-23-2008 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Fixed a broken link

Jiggs, both of those are great links, thanks much!

(second link requires membership)
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I'd think a fixed-base PC 690 would work fine as a dedicated dovetail router. That's what I've used. Keep in mind this is from a guy who has only used his Rockler dovetail jig long enough to try it out on some scrap wood...I've not made any drawers, either.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have a PC router that works perfect with my PC dove tail jig. I have found that the PC collars for the base don't fit just any router. I have never tried dovetailing plywood. I would think it would blow out in all the wrong places.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 04-23-2008 at 03:05 AM.

Hi Mark,
    About being scared of your drawers. Don't be!

If they don't fit try a different brand name. I like Fruit of the Loom but Hanes has some that are not so scary. You just have to do what it takes to get started! Good luck with those scary drawers! I believe in you!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

mark, just check the PC guide bushings to see which brands they adapt with. To find this out you may have to check the kit that has the multiple sizes of bushings. i think they list it on the back.

Amazon has run some great deals on fixed base 690's recently, and most people say that router is bulletproof. i know i like mine. i've had no problem except the cracked housing caused by getting my foot wrapped around the cord and draggin it to the concrete.

plywood will do fine with the jig as long as you provide a backer board for blow out. make sure to try it out on some test pieces.

good luck

chris

I used to have the PC D-handle base for my fixed router. It worked well for the dovetail jig.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Mark the answers above are good, but to be specific about the question you asked, ANY BRAND of router that states that it will accept the PC (or sometimes noted as "PC style") guide bushings will work fine with the PC Dovetail jig. If the small bits like the ones you will use with the dovetail jig are all you are going to use with that router, a variable speed is not necessary. With those statements in mind, I have some older routers that are fixed speed, but when I buy now, I usually buy the VS models, just to give me more flexibility should I feel the need for it.

On a further note, there was a period a year or so ago that there were quite a few posts on different forums complaining about bearing failures on the (new, at that time) PC 690 routers, and several comments from long time users of the 690 series that indicated that they didn't feel the new ones were built as well as the older ones. Does anyone know if Porter Cable has taken care of that problem? I don't remember seeing any complaints recently, so maybe that problem has gone away, I just don't know.

A router with a D handle OR an offset base would assist in keeping the router flat on the jig though.

Have fun with the Jig and making drawers.