Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HI new to wood turning

HI new to wood turning

Hey every one I am new to wood turning and have been trying for about 3 weeks. Here are some of the ones that I think are best. I need some tips and suggestions from you pros out there! Don't feel like you are rude, I am from texas and a little redneck thought are welcome. I got started when I bought a lathe at a garage sell, and took it home. Made a bat with it just goofing off. Had a really good time learning. The motor burned up on me the next day so I bought me a brand new lathe and, hang on for the ride,,,,,Here we go!!!! Oh and thanks for the guys showing vids on youtube,,,,thats where I learned the captive ring trick. Everyone was impressed!!!

ABQ NM
    Dang, three weeks into the Vortex and you're already doing captive rings? You're ahead of me, Zack. All three are nice-looking pieces.

Sounds like you got pulled into the Abyss hard like a lot of us. What lathe did you get?

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Good show, starting out with pics and all.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Well I did go to college for metal working on lathes, but this is so much more fun. Metal don't have diffrent wood grains like wood,,,,, Anyway I bought a Central Machinery lathe from Harbor freight. It is a 12 by 36 with an indexing head. Might not be the best but it will get me started. Thanks for the compliment. I could use lots of them becouse wood is much different than metal. I hope I can stay up to you guys standards!!!

ABQ NM
    If that's the lathe I'm thinking of, there's been some good stuff turned on them. It's not a Robust American Beauty, but it spins wood and provides a place to hold a chisel. That's all you really need.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tokyo Japan
    Welcome Zack!

Looks like you jumped in with both feet into the vortex

Nice work!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

DSM, IA
    Welcome to the Family Zack.

Your way ahead of most after 3 weeks!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Wellcome Zack, I think we can learn more from you, than the way around.
    Think you are a natural talent. Great work!!

Thanks very much for all the compliments. I hope to learn alot from you all. Here is another bowl on a pedistool I made, and a piece that hit me in the head.
    LOL, I was turning it using a face plate. I have ordered a 4 jaw chuck and they sent me the wrong spindle adapter but hope I get the right one soon. Oh and yes they hurt when they hit you in the head!!!

Goodland, Kansas
    Welcome Zack. Those are some good looking turnings. Way to jump in with both feet.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
    3 WEEKS??? You're turning captive rings after 3 weeks?

YOU SUCK!!!!
    That's a compliment, by the way!
    Very nicely done! Welcome to The Family, Zack.