Another Hollow Form

Spalted white birch, #19 in the series, 9” diameter x 4 ¼” high, sanded to 400 grit, 4 coats of Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly. Will wait for a week or longer for the poly to dry before buffing.

HF #19 V1.JPG HF #19 V2.JPG HF #19 V3.JPG HF #19 V4.JPG HF #19 V5.JPG

As always, comments and critiques are appreciated!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

You're turning into a hollow form machine, Steve. This one looks sweet. Looks like you got the "dipped in glass" finishing process down. :clap:

Very, very nice Steve.

I like them very much, and how the spalted area shows, and enhances the whole shape.

My criticism ( if any) is more a matter of taste than any other thing, I'm a bit disturbed by the fact that the top half is more flat than the bottom half, and as I like very flat bowls and jars I would rather prefer to have the bottom half more similar or symmetric to the top one.

But of course that is me not you!:)

steve, great form and finish. that's tough work to get the mouth that small with a quick transition to the largest diameter...congrats. did you use the monster articulated system for that?

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! I really appreciate it!

Toni - I understand your preference for symmetical form and most of the time I would agree with you. This piece is a little different in that it is an attempt of a Hopi style of Southwest pottery.

Clara - Welcome to the Family! Hope to see some photos of your work real soon!

Barry - I am down to 3 roughed out hollow form blanks. Will have to get out soon and find some more birch. Love the look of the spalted stuff!

Clark - this was turned with Randy's Articulated Arm system and the inside was finished with his new carbide cutter. The cutter leaves a very smooth surface and I was very impressed with it!

Thanks again everyone!