Recommendation for blade sharpening service

Mike Gabbay

I need a recommendation for a good saw blade sharpening service. I'm in Virginia so anything on the east coast would be preferred to save on shipping and time.

I'm not trying to put down your need or anything. But I see posts like this occasionally and they really puzzle me. Reason is, I have never seen a small town without several independent professional sharpeners in the area. Businesses and contractors couldn't function without them. Suggest you check phone book and ask around. I'll betcha there are several. If you have no luck, we have a couple in my area I can refer you to. There will be shipping, of course.

Frank - I realize I can use a local shop. However, the shops in Northern VA don't really have the setup to really sharpen higher quality saw blades. They say that they do but I've not heard very many good reviews. I was thinking about Forest or a similar shop that has the right tools to do it right. Last thing I need is to take a $90 blade and screw it up and pay for it..... :(

Frank - I realize I can use a local shop. However, the shops in Northern VA don't really have the setup to really sharpen higher quality saw blades. They say that they do but I've not heard very many good reviews. I was thinking about Forest or a similar shop that has the right tools to do it right. Last thing I need is to take a $90 blade and screw it up and pay for it..... :(
I send my less expensive blades to a sharpener that contracts to Woodcraft. I assume they would not use someone that would damage their rep with the local woodworkers. My Forrest blade ONLY goes directly to Forrest. They have all the contact and shipping info on their website. They're a bit pricey, but they do a very good job and check every tooth. IIRC they will replace a certain number of teeth (if needed) under the base sharpening charge.:thumb:
http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.com/forrest_saw_blade_sharpening.html

Check with Woodcraft, Rockler or your local hardware--they all have connections to a good sharpening service. You can't say that for all of the BORGs. Anything I have that is made by Forrest goes back to Forrest.

Find the local cabinet shops. Walk in and ask them who they use. After asking several -places, you will see which on stands out as the most used.:thumb: This is what I did and I now have a guy that will sharpen all my blades and guranty's(sp?) his work. The other good thing about finding a local is you are helping to support you community.

Al hit the nail on the head. There are a half dozen sharpeners around me but only one was recommended by 4 different cabinet shops that I asked. I just asked at the desk or pulled around back and hollered to the first guy I saw. they were all happy to tell me the good and bad of their experiences.

I'm not trying to put down your need or anything. But I see posts like this occasionally and they really puzzle me. Reason is, I have never seen a small town without several independent professional sharpeners in the area. ....

Well come on down here. I can show you a place void of independent sharpeners... I haven't found one to sharpen my handsaws sense the old fellow passed on. I can send to a pro shop and have it done but they don't want to fool with small time fellows. And the prices nearly match a replacement cost.

Or come to my town Frank. There isn't one here that I can find or anywhere close by.

Mark, he is not local but I have never heard anything but good about Scott's (Whitting??) Sharpening Service in Phoenix. He gets rave reviews on Woodnet. Just one to keep in mind.

Or come to my town Frank. There isn't one here that I can find or anywhere close by.

Mark, he is not local but I have never heard anything but good about Scott's (Whitting??) Sharpening Service in Phoenix. He gets rave reviews on Woodnet. Just one to keep in mind.

Sounds like some of you need to point out the Belsaw ads to somebody nearing retirement. Oh, well.

I'll second Scott's Sharpening Service. We've been in his shop and he has ALL of the machinery necessary to sharpen just about anything. We send all of our blades to him. He's in Glendale, AZ. If you want his address, PM me.

I agree with Nancy, I've sent my blades to Scott and I'm very pleased with his service. This is his address:

Scott's Sharpening Service
5214 W Luke Ave. Ste 7
Glendale, AZ 85301
1-800-594-7262

Hey guys/gals - thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at Scott's. Since I have a few backup blades that are new, I should be in good shape having my primary blades out for sharpening.

Forrest is my next choice.

Mike