Who Would Pay $1000 for an Air Filter?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I was digging around the 'net for information about air filters for my new compressor. I was looking at toilet paper filter like Tod uses, and wondered what else was available. I saw the range from the Harbor Freight canister filters on up into the multi-hundred dollar units.

Then I stumbled upon Beach air filters. Like this one. Seems to have real good specs. Then I saw the price here. :eek: And upon further reading, I see they recommend the automatic drain valve, for which they want another $214. :rolleyes: That's over a grand for a filter system. I'm guessing it's a great filter - it better be for that price - but it sure seems odd to spend that much money for a filter. I know I sure wouldn't.

But...I did figure it was worth $50 on eBay.
whistling.gif
It's used, but in very clean shape, with new-looking elements. And the price included the automatic drain valve, a pair of Parker ball valves (3/4" and 1/2"), a small brass ball valve on the drain line, and a handful of other miscellaneous fittings that I'll be able to use. It all arrived today, and it's truly industrial strength. Should be serious overkill for my current needs, and able to handle anything I can come up with in the future.

While I'm waiting for the new compressor to arrive, I've been playing electrician and plumber. I added the new 40 amp 220v circuit earlier this week, (including a separate disconnect by the compressor), and I've been working on the air drying rack that will go on the wall next to it. The piping will be behind my wall-mounted clamp rack, which I have to remove and re-mount on standoffs to provide clearance. I haven't taken any pics yet, since there's not been anything real interesting to look at, but I'll have pics of the finished installation in a few weeks. :D

Here's a sneak peek at the drying rack design...

Air Drying Rack3 800.jpg

And here's a link to a bit bigger image, so you can really see how bad I am at using SketchUp.

I guess that the answer to your basic question is "somebody who wants a high confidence in clean dry air". I know it ain't me because I just don't need air that clean but if I did , in an industrial-ish setting then $1000 wouldn't be a big deal. Yet another example of the importance of matching needs and means

Whatever - congrats on the score. Hope it works out well.

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. It wouldn't take too many botched paint jobs to justify the expense. (Although I still suspect there are less expensive ways to get the same results.) I know it'll be way more than I need, but for about twice the price of a Harbor Freight cheapie, I couldn't resist. ;)

.... (Although I still suspect there are less expensive ways to get the same results.)...

I'm sure you are completely right but sometimes the selling point is level of confidence in the thing doing the job right time after time rather than the actual quality of the result.

I used to work for a software company that made mission critical payment systems for retailers and etailers etc. The MD used to use the analogy of a parachute with a line like "Which do you trust more, a £100 parahute or a £1000 parachute". In some areas the phrase "reassuringly expensive" is very valid and maybe this is one of them.

I can't think of an application but I am betting there are industrial uses where something HAS to have extremely clean air (and note their mention of gasses too) not to damage a machine or part. Pretty sure that is aimed at specialized applications and not the average wood hacker. ;)

Last edited:
I can't think of an application but I am betting there are industrial uses where something HAS to have extremely clean air (and not their mention of gasses too) not to damage a machine or part. Pretty sure that is aimed at specialized applications and not the average wood hacker. ;)

Geez, you are not calling Vaughn "Average" are you :eek:

I'd say he certainly fit "Unique" much better :D :wave: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can't think of an application but I am betting there are industrial uses where something HAS to have extremely clean air (and note their mention of gasses too) not to damage a machine or part. Pretty sure that is aimed at specialized applications and not the average wood hacker. ;)

My wife, before she retired, worked in the prototyping lab at an electronics company. They had dozens - maybe even hundreds - of 500,000 rpm air turbine drills and grinders that needed ultra clean air. Tiny little things - think dentist's drills on steroids.

Their air supply system was ultra clean. They had huge filtration systems on both the intake and output lines, along with cooler/driers, and desiccant filters. I'm betting one of their compressor systems cost much more than my whole shop.

At the paper mill, we use about 2500 CFM of compressed air. The air must be dry in the winter or any outside air actuated valves stop working because the air lines freeze. The solenoid valves on the pnuematic 3 positon valves stick when the oil from the compressors get in the valve. The oil and water make a nice gummy mixture.

In 1991, we installed a dessicant air dryer for about $25,000 for 2600 CFM @ 100 PSI. The system worked reasonably well, but it used compressed air to dry the dessicant. This made the unit quite inefficient. Last October we just installed a new heated air dryer with dew point controls for about $65,000. It paid for itself already in energy savings.

I wish I had just a small one for my shop, but these are pricey.

Then I stumbled upon Beach air filters. Like this one. Seems to have real good specs. Then I saw the price here. :eek: And upon further reading, I see they recommend the automatic drain valve, for which they want another $214. :rolleyes: That's over a grand for a filter system. I'm guessing it's a great filter - it better be for that price - but it sure seems odd to spend that much money for a filter.
View attachment 19894

And here's a link to a bit bigger image, so you can really see how bad I am at using SketchUp.

Who would pay a grand for an air filter?

The long-haired blonde guitar playing guy who bought a PURPLE air compressor? Is this a test? Where are the other 3 possible answers?