Argh, annoying customer service issue

Ned Bulken

Awhile back the LOML and I decided that we needed some new living room furniture, so off we went to make the rounds of the galleries. Found one we liked, who cut us a discount because the LOML is an EMT. One year free financing, yada yada yada.

Upon delivery the 'year' starts, only a month after delivery, no bill has arrived. Until today... turns out that the finance service dweebs have mixed up my name with my parents' address in Virginia! Mutter mutter COC non-complient language... *sigh*, I know I filled out the form correctly, I even let the LOML print the important info carefully, my handwriting can charitably be mistaken for Doctors Prescription worthy.

SO, I go online to put in the Right information, only it won't let me IN, turns out the zip code is the virginia one... silly me, according to the company, that's where I live after all. I plug in the wrong zip code and can now access the account info. I fix it, and decide that for some reason that I want to talk with a live person, vs computer menu. And without casting aspersions at the call center personel, I suspect that my call was routed 3/4 of the way around the globe. DAMHIKT

The polite gent on the line double checks the info that I put in, and then tries to sell me something. I was on my cell, so what exactly wasn't clear, so I politely declined, since I simply wanted to register my complaint on the original mix-up.

What makes you think this was a mistake?? Now your probably late and they collect more money.

Seriously, as much as I despise credit cards, many times it's cheaper to use them than these Credit companies. They are major ripoffs!

Jeff, you're right. They do try their hardest to rip you off. Whenever I take advantage of one of these offers, I get the address & phone number of the lending company as well as when the first bill will be due, at time of purchase. If I can, I pay right away. Sometimes, though, they won't accept payment for weeks until they take their sweet time setting your account up. Then they send the bill out at the last minute making it tough to pay on time. You really need to pay attention with these guys.

You gotta be real careful with those 'wait a year' and 'no interest' deals. When my mother was still alive, she needed a new stove. The local store had a deal, offered by an outside company, for easy payment and no interest. At first it was simple, get bill, write check and mail. But soon, I noticed that the bills seemed to come sooner than a month apart. Then, one day, I read the fine print (again) and was reminded that, even a one day late payment would result in the whole amount being due, including ALL the interest for a year. Finally, they were coming on top of each other. "Enuf" I said and paid the balance. There ain't no free lunches enneymore.

From what I hear, many or maybe most?? have early pay off penalties too.

The more I learn the more I am becoming a Cash Only. If I have to borrow I would go to my credit union or bank.