Thread: bed hardware question

bed hardware question

I'm about to start building a queen size bed and have been looking at different rail connectors. Those of you that have built beds what are your recommendations for rail connectors?

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    John are you planning on having wood side rails? If so you can get mortised in bed hooks from rockler there are probably other outlets also. You could look at other hardware suppliers.

I agree with Rex http://www.rockler.com/search_result...=17&submit.y=4

Also, Queen sized beds require additional support for the longer span. A middle leg needs to be constructed to prevent the Box springs from sagging. (Lest you and your bride will roll together in the night and who knows what that will bring I am referring to the bothering and depriving of a good sleep, get you mind on straight its a family forum)

I do not agree, I've got a bed made with them hooks, and they do not work well in wood, for larger beds, for something like a kids bed, sure, but for two adults, sleeping on it, they always loosen off, which sucks. To solve this, I took the whole thing apart, and I used some better, larger, thicker screws, I pre-drilled the holes, drove the screws once, then I coated the screws with glue and drove them again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cross_dowels.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	19896
    I have hardwood cross dowels in the rails, so the screws are biting a lot more than end grain, but still I had problems. I finally figured out that the actual brackets, held in place by only three screws each, were flexing

If I were ever to make a bed again, bed bolts is the only way I'd go, remember, I'm not talking about a small bed here, our bed is almost as wide as it is long.

Cheers!

I just wanted to add, that I'm using the 6 x 5/8'' Heavy Duty Wrought Steel Bed Rail Fastener Set #28597 $13.99 a set

Like I said, I think the Bed Bolts are the way to go.....

Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 04-25-2008 at 04:27 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I've made several beds with full mortised steel fasteners from both Rockler and Woodcraft... similar to the picture, but maybe not the same (some of them are surface mount, some mortised). When properly installed, you literally have to beat those things apart, and on every one I've done they are absolutelty rock solid.

KC

Thanks for the info.

If you think the steel ones are too cheezy then go with the cast iron ones here... http://vandykes.resultspage.com/sear...11&submit.y=11 All of my beds are antique and have the cast iron "Knuckles" morticed and imbedded in the rails and post. each is over 100 years old and are still standing and raising kids and making kids they have stood up to some vigorous activity.

I have repaired several beds where I lengthen the side rails (made new ones) to fit today's mattress sizes on each of them I used the old cast iron knuckles and have had no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I do not agree, I've got a bed made with them hooks, and they do not work well in wood, for larger beds, for something like a kids bed, sure, but for two adults, sleeping on it, they always loosen off, which sucks.

Interesting. I built our queen size using those and other that forgetting I was inserting them in end grain I have had no problems. It's does have a center support. Maybe that is the difference?

I have a tutorial for my web site in the works on screw in end grain. How I fixed my mistake. Just got to find some time on that.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

bed bolts

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    I'm about to start building a queen size bed and have been looking at different rail connectors. Those of you that have built beds what are your recommendations for rail connectors?
    I mortise my posts and cut stub tennons on my rails which are 1 1/2 x 6" and then I use bed bolts made by leevally.this construction allows the bed to be taken apart and when it is tightened up the bed will never rack.