Thread: chuck? for Bill Grumbine, or anyone :D

chuck? for Bill Grumbine, or anyone :D

I'll be ordering a large chuck very soon. Tired of stuff taking flying lessons off my GMC3 mini-chuck. Right now the decision is between the Barracuda 3 from Amazon or the Barracuda 4 from PSI. PSI does not list the 3 anymore so I assume it is discontinued. What I'm wondering: Is the 'cudda 4 worth the extra $50.00 over the price of the 3? Bill did a favorable review of the 4, so I'm curious as to his take on this.

Frank, you new lathe has a 1 1/4 spindle correct? The B4 comes standard 1 1/4, but I think the B3 is standard 1X8 tpi? This means you would need an adapter. Don't quote me on that though.

BTW I plan on ordering the Baracuda 2 in a few weeks when my tax rebate comes in, have had it in my Amazon cart for almost a year now.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Frank, you new lathe has a 1 1/4 spindle correct? The B4 comes standard 1 1/4, but I think the B3 is standard 1X8 tpi? This means you would need an adapter. Don't quote me on that though.

BTW I plan on ordering the Baracuda 2 in a few weeks when my tax rebate comes in, have had it in my Amazon cart for almost a year now.
    I already have the adapter, that's not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I'll be ordering a large chuck very soon. Tired of stuff taking flying lessons off my GMC3 mini-chuck. Right now the decision is between the Barracuda 3 from Amazon or the Barracuda 4 from PSI. PSI does not list the 3 anymore so I assume it is discontinued. What I'm wondering: Is the 'cudda 4 worth the extra $50.00 over the price of the 3? Bill did a favorable review of the 4, so I'm curious as to his take on this.
    Hey Frank,
    I use both a GMC3 mini and Cug3418 from PSI and haven't had too much problem with things jumping off the chuck, except when I get too agressive on really hard woods... but I like the idea of a single key on the Barracuda. I've actually broken one of the littlt bars for the GMC and have addapted an old screwdriver as a tightening lever...it does get to be a pain having to fit something onto the chuck and try to operate two separate levers at the same time... I'll be looking for the review on the barracuda when it hits the threads... and your take on them as well.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Hey Frank,
    I use both a GMC3 mini and Cug3418 from PSI and haven't had too much problem with things jumping off the chuck, except when I get too agressive on really hard woods... but I like the idea of a single key on the Barracuda. I've actually broken one of the littlt bars for the GMC and have addapted an old screwdriver as a tightening lever...it does get to be a pain having to fit something onto the chuck and try to operate two separate levers at the same time... I'll be looking for the review on the barracuda when it hits the threads... and your take on them as well.
    Actually, I have settled the issue for myself. Amazon gives some confusing information on the 'cudda 3 indicating it is a 5". In actuality, the PSI paper catalog explains sizes quite well and I have settled on the new 'cudda 4. I'll order as soon as a bank transfer, traveling at snail speed, reaches my Pay Pal account.