Progress on the Oval turning device

Ad de Crom

Former Member (at his request)
I'm far down the road, with the construction of the Oval turning device.
Did last week a lot of work, like balance the rockin headstock with a lead counterweight, and I made other parts and assembled everything into the frame. What left is to take care of the transmission from the lathe to the device, and four clamps to fasten the device on the bed of the lathe.
Than the most exciting moment, the first run.
Have a 0,5 Kw electromotor, frequency controled, I start in the first place with a very low speed, to see what happen, and when everything runs well, than speed it up till......, that's what I have to find out.
For now I have four pictures with four positions of the crankaxle, 0-90-180-270 degrees, to show to you how it looks like.
Anyway this was for me the biggest and most challenged job I'm ever done.
Have to stain the hardwooden parts, for better looking.

Thanks for looking.
The handyman Ad. :wave:

Attachments

• 100_0033 - Oval turning device position 0 degrees.jpg
    100_0033 - Oval turning device position 0 degrees.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_0034 - Oval turning device position 90 degrees.jpg
    100_0034 - Oval turning device position 90 degrees.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0035 - Oval turning device position 180 degrees.jpg
    100_0035 - Oval turning device position 180 degrees.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_0036 - Oval turning device position 270 degrees.jpg
    100_0036 - Oval turning device position 270 degrees.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 49
That's looking great, Ad. :thumb: I can see why it has been challenging. I don't think I'd know where to even start designing and building something like that. I'll be looking forward to see it in action. Do you have a video camera? :)

Thanks Chuck and Vaughn.
Vaughn, not all is tricky for me, understand very well Chuck's writing. Thanks Chuck.
Since the time I have American corresponding friends, I'm in a certain way used to this kind of writing to me, but I have to admit, sometimes..., I really have to scratch behind my ears, not knowing what they are talking about.
I have a digital camera complete with video + sound, so you can expect a small video + sound about the first run.
Have a nice weekend.
Ad