737 Highspeed Low Altitude Pass

Stuart Ablett

My dad sent me this >> LINK <<

Stu's Dad said:
Met the pilot who flew this low pass at KORC flying field today. He and two pilot buddies are here test flying Kelowna flight Craft rebuilt 737's. He is from Calgary, one pilot buddy from Russia and the other from Vancouver.

220 knots, 30 feet off the ground :D

Yeah, that's very impressive Stuart, saw in 1994 the same on airforce base Woensdrecht here in my country, by me on the corner, then an old merauder bomber passed very low with roaring engines. Than you almost have the wish to be the pilot. Wrrrrrooeeeeem!!!!!
Ad :wave:

Very cool, Stu. I got to see several cool displays of plane power and piloting skills when I worked at the Albuquerque airport years ago.

Several of us were on the roof of the old terminal building (about three stories high) watching the Blue Angels warming up the day before one of their shows one year, and one of the pilots did a 30' to 40' high pass between our building and the (then) Air Freight building about 100' away. He was close enough we could see him wave.

He's also going slower, though. ;) That's the approach at St. Maarten island. Always cool to watch, regardless of the speed.

Of course, one YouTube always begats another...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVByFRf0oXY

If you think that is Fun to Watch Vaughn, I can tell you from Personal experience that it is even MORE Fun to be the Pilot landing there, (I have had that FUN quite a few times in Twin Otters.....(duck soup), 1121 Jet Commanders, 1123 & 1124 Westwind Biz Jets, and twice in a B-707-300C.

I know it was FUN, 'cause I'm still Smiling.:rofl::rofl::rofl: Beautiful Place there.:thumb:

If you like watching airplanes up close and personal plan on attending AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI (July 28 to August 3, 2008)
Here you can see everything from World War 1 fighters to the F22 Raptor doing low level passes.
It's quite impressive to see a C5A doing a low level!! :thumb:

http://www.airventure.org/

Very cool video! I think I was a passenger on that flight - a few times!:eek::rofl: Actually I was on a flight that made an emergency landing in Terre Haute Indiana. The pilot put us on the deck for a few miles before we got to the airport. It was kinda like watching the corn rows go by in the car - but much faster!:thumb:
Last week Sam and I had a C-130 fly over us as we drove past our little airport in Lancaster. They were doing touch-n-gos. That was awe inspiring - I can only imagine what a 737 or 747 is like!

Wes

when i was in high school a friend of mine and i snuck out of school and went to watch the practice runs for the upcoming weekend air show. we were in his moms chevy station wagon and went out on some back roads behind the airport. we got out and stood on the roof of the car to watch and while we were there 2 a-10 warthogs were practicing and must of spotted us because they kept circling back and flying right over us. they did it about 10 times getting lower each time. it was awesome! id say they were within 20 feet of us when they flew over at the lowest, which believe me seems a LOT closer in person!

No film so maybe it didn't really happen, but one September evening a few years ago, SWMBO and I were out on Lake Nockamixon in the sailboat. We had the lake all to ourselves, it was just before sunset, and all of a sudden here comes an Apache gunship about 50' high over the water. He passed right over us. It was the most wind the sails had had the whole trip.

John Travolta is a huge lover of airplanes and has his own 707. He also has a summer home on Islesboro which is an island in the same county as me. I was not there to see it, but he did a fly over very much the same, very low to the ground and at full throttle...and was promptly fined by the FAA with a very stern warning never to do it again.

When I was a kid I was playing in our big field which is kind of high up and very open. I am not sure what was going on, but my brother and I saw a F-4 Phantom fly overhead. He was so close to the ground that we saw him wave to us in the canopy. He was not going fast, but I can remember it to this day. My Dad always said we were making it up, but I swear to you guys, my brother and I saw him wave to us.

A bit off topic, but in regards to flying, one of the best jobs to have on the farm was when the potato fields were planted in winter rye every fall. It was my job to hold a long stick with a flag on it. The flag marked where the winter rye was sprayed down. At the same time it indicated where the wind was blowing so they did not overlap the field.

All day long I would get helicopter rides from one end of the field to the other. I would jump off and hold my flag and the helicopter pilot would zip back and forth planting the fields in winter rye. It was the best job even if I never got a dime for doing it!

The first time I ever flew in a plane I was scared as a sheep. That whole get up to speed thing took me for a loop. I was so used to just "hopping up in the air" from helicopters that that zipping down the runway scared me.

Are you sure it was an F-4 Phantom Travis?

I think their cruising speed is up near 600 MPH, that is mighty fast. :dunno: :wave:

My brother said it was. He was into planes at the time and this was around 1979-1980. I was just a kid, perhaps 5 or 6. I am pretty sure the F-4 Phantom was still in the US Air Force arsenal at that time.

He was not just flying by as if going from one place to another, but playing around in the fields. He was sweeping down low, banking, turning and doing some crazy stuff, so it was not like he was just whizzing by.

I remember once being on snowmobile in the field where we saw this happen, and out of the blue Jason said "Remember that time we were playing in this field and that pilot waved to us." Here is where we saw him. As you can see,its pretty open and Thorndike is isolated and rural so he was not doing anything dangerous. But I remember him waving to two little kids in a big field many years ago.

Big_Field-small.JPG