I got back on the lathe here lately. Had some rough blanks lying around that I decided to finish. I roughed them out a long time ago so they were both hard as nails. Sorry the pictures are mixed up; don't know how to rearrange them. The first is red gum eucalyptus 8.5"wide x 6.5" high. Left the natural edge, sans the bark. That was about as hollow as I could get it with standard tools. I found a neat trick for smoothing the inside though. I used a goosneck scraper with the bowl turning at very low speed (about 10 rpm) saved me a ton of time sanding. Another first was that I rubbed out the laquer finish with 4F pumice and oil. It gave it a nice semi-gloss sheen rather quickly.
The second bowl is carob 9" wide x 4.5" high. decided to add a ring to it for kicks. The ring is Peruvian walnut. I started by cutting the bowl in half on the bandsaw using a makeshift jig to steady it. Then sanded the mating surface of each side flat using first the belt sander, then I attached a sheet of sandpaper to the cast iron tablesaw wing and rubbed the surfaces on it they they were perfectly flat. Then cut the ring to rough size out of the walnut. I glued the top and bottom to the ring separatly to minimize the slipping and sliding thing that wet glue does. Then turned it to final finish. Another first on this was using Mylands friction polish. Worked great, although I hear its not that durable As far as the design, I'm not that crazy about it, but I plan to play with the concept more in the future and come up with something more to my liking. BTW The Eucalyptus is from the same chunk that George Conklin made his recent posting from, notice the bee's wing figure; quite common in this wood. Cheers, Barry