Anyone do any woodworking this weekend??

Jeff Horton

Seems our off topic posts are trying to out number the woodworking related ones. So did anyone do any woodworking this past weekend or past week for that matter?

Still slugging along on the Kayak. Work has picked up so I have slowed down on that for a few days. Expect that to change shortly though.

No, between being gone to rendezvous and catching up on spring projects, I haven't made shavings in weeks. I'm going to need a refresher course to get going with bowls. Have tons of wood, plenty of proper tools, will be ordering a Barracuda 4 chuck this week, need to use the stuff. The gavel posted has encouraged me. I have wood setting, for months, for an Osage Orange and Dogwood gavels. Not bowls, but sumptin' to do on the spinner.

I did turn a fountain pen late Saturday evening after working in the yard and trying to find a leak in the pond liner. Went out to the shop a couple times yesterday to get a couple things I needed inside the house.

I have made two more bandsawn boxes, the last one in the shape of a monster truck with two hidden drawers (one under the hood one in the bed). It is in its rough stages but maybe get pictures tomorrow.

Wood yes, sawdust no.:p
IMG_0277.jpg
Just playing around with the photonic scrollsaw and ten different flavors of peel-and-stick veneer from Rockler. About 19" diameter on a 21"x22" piece of birch ply...probably just frame it up and hang it somewhere.

Finally sorted out all of my little bits of hardware (Screws/nuts/bolts/etc.) into bins.

Table saw is cleared off and is not playing the part of a Junk table.

My workbench is cleaned off and usable.

Sorted out my latest order of wood and verified I got what I paid for. 2 20bdft Ups packs of QSWO, and 2 20bdft UPS Packs of poplar (I did get what I ordered, and Just a little bit more, by my reckoning)

Started picking through the wood to figure out what pieces to use for what parts of and end table I'm going to make.

Feels good to be out in the shop again. It's been too long...

Work every day for about one hour and weekend, on my second low table, so far I have only the lumber sized, straigthened and starte to make the first secret miter dovetail joint, it is taking more than I expected because I need to have a very tight miter joint.

Pics to come soon. ( when I get some more)

I made a few more adjustments on my nightstand prototype. Sketchup helped a lot but the proto type helps more. It allowed me to see things like wanting to change to mitered tenons and adjusting the peg positions a little more toward a G&G thing.

proto-no-drawer-1.jpg

This is made of old 2x4 and 4x4 material the LOML's work throws out. She brings it to my house and I machine it down and throw it on the rack for just this purpose. There are even some boards recycled from those sandwich boards they deliver giant party sandwiches on. MDF is used in place of the ebony that is planned for the keepers which will be done out of ash. This one goes in the scrap bin.

proto-no-drawer-2.jpg

proto-leg-foot-1.jpg

The legs aren't bowed. that's my camera's inability to take close-ups (or it could be the photographer). If I don't totally tank on it, I should get something like this but with a few changes: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14284&d=1194374514

Last edited:
I managed to get most of the tools moved over into the new shop. Saturday I invited a few freinds over for a cookout. Befor we ate we moved the big stuff. Then we moved the smaller things. Still do not have them hooked up yet. But as far as woodworking, no. I only managed to build a pation wall.

Was a yard weekend for me. :(
Sunday and yesterday, I put up crown molding in the powder room. This pretty much completes my renovation, except for a frame for the mirror... Any suggestions and ideas on what would look good for the frame, will be appreciated.

Looks like a half bath?? (DUH! just looked at pictures) IMHO the mirror is too big. You have nice delicate wallpaper with crown molding that sets the walls off nicely. You might consider an oval mirror (if the existing one can be removed). Not sure of the framing. Maybe match the vanity? Or matching the wainscoting? Would give the room a more elegant look, again IMHO.

Last edited:
I have been a long time lurker (even from the SMC days) and have been waiting for something meaningful to contribute. My wife and I are just outside Waco, Tx taking a 6 day woodturning class at the Homestead Heritage Traditional Crafts Village (just finished day 2).

View attachment 20090

The woodworking school is better known for their traditional (meaning hand tools!) woodworking classes. Although I gravitate toward the flatwork, I thought taking the woodturning classes would be better for my wife who has expressed an interest in it. While we were woodturning in the machine room, two of the apprentices took a break from the their woodworking duties and started playing their cellos. Not often you get live music as you turn!

View attachment 20091

View attachment 20092

Below are some pictures of their work (the apprentices) and a photo of the benches that they use.

View attachment 20093

View attachment 20095

View attachment 20094

I know, no pictures of woodturning, but I will try and send some later if there is some interest. Also sorry about the quality, but I was using my cell phone. I forgot my connector to my digital camera so I have been unable to access those photos.

To my fellow Washingtonians, the weather has been fantastic; finally experiencing Spring!

Bill

Last edited:
Finished rough-in of electrical and plumbing, started drywalling the basement. Took some notes from Greg's bathroom remodel, but since I'm on a tight deadline I doubt I will get to do as good as job as him. Hoping to be done in two weeks, still have to do some painting outside, touch-up all the trim in the house, put fresh caulk in all the baths and kitchen, and do various cleanup. Was shooting to get the house on the market 5/1, but looks like it may be closer to 6/1 instead.

Thanks Greg for the kind words.

Raining huh...at least that is better than the snow or hail. Well, it is another beautiful day here and I am off to turning class.

Sorry, I could not resist rubbing it in a bit!