View Poll Results: What do you plan to do after 2/17/2009?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing...I've got cable/satellite, so I'm good

29 78.38%
  • Buy the set-top converter so I can use my existing tv

3 8.11%
  • Stop watching tv and spend more time in the shop

3 8.11%
  • Huh? They're doing what?

2 5.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Television...it's coming...

Digital Television...it's coming...

So on Feb. 17th, 2009, "Full Power" Television stations will stop broadcasting in analog, you must have a TV that supports Digital television or use/purchase a set-top converter. What are you planning to do? Just curious...

More info at www.DTV.gov.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 04-30-2008 at 03:24 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Just like Elvis has been sighted in all the lower 48 states of the US since his supposed death......Just like man supposedly walked on the moon.....they are supposedly going to switch to digital television.....

I'll believe it when I get my tax rebate.

We are on cable...the LOML has already ordered the coupon for the converter for the tv in the bedroom and the one we use in the 5th wheel.
    Ken
    ------

I've always heard that cable and/or satellite customers are already watching digital, and any TV that works now will work in the future. If that's not true, somebody straighten me out and I'll start shopping. I need my stories.

i haven`t watched commercial television in years and have no desire to start now.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    So on Feb. 17th, 2009, "Full Power" Television stations will stop broadcasting in analog, ....
    ... IN THE USA.

In Canada their is no mandated deadline.

My options

a) well my TV is 10-12 years old anyway and I wouldn't mind a nice 32" LCD
    b) do nothing. We mostly only watch DVDs and Tapes anyway. I can't remember the last time I've watched broadcast TV here. The kids have watched TVO a few times (local PBS-like outfit).

My hope is to watch less TV...but our phone and internet are bundled with cable to make it cheaper...so I guess I will need to get one of those coupons? I don't wan't to buy a big flat screen, if I did I would feel an obligation to watch it more since I spent $$ on it. Right now our newest TV was a wedding gift in 1999 27" RCA.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    ... IN THE USA.
    Correct, USA only, unless your close enough to pickup a broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    My hope is to watch less TV...but our phone and internet are bundled with cable to make it cheaper...so I guess I will need to get one of those coupons? I don't wan't to buy a big flat screen, if I did I would feel an obligation to watch it more since I spent $$ on it. Right now our newest TV was a wedding gift in 1999 27" RCA.
    Nope, no need for the converter, your cable company will still provide the analog signal to you. You could go ahead and request the coupon and have it on hand if you do get rid of the cable. Dont' know if they expire or not.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Constable View Post
    I've always heard that cable and/or satellite customers are already watching digital, and any TV that works now will work in the future. If that's not true, somebody straighten me out and I'll start shopping. I need my stories.
    You should be fine with cable or satellite for now. I would suspect at some point they will change once many of the older tv's start to go out and everyone has newer HDTVs.
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    You should be fine with cable or satellite for now. I would suspect at some point they will change once many of the older tv's start to go out and everyone has newer HDTVs.
    Dunno about satellite, but the cable companies are obligated (by the same law that's causing this) to provide analog on 'basic cable' until 2012 (IIRC). For most cable systems that's everything below channel 100...unless your TV or VCR is really old (like pre-1990 or so), no worries.
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    really old (like pre-1990 or so), .
    i`m pre 90`s..........so are you lee......what`s that say `bout us?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]