Looking for a Car Rental Coupon......

Stuart Ablett

I'm looking for a car rental discount coupon or code etc.

Going to Canada for 10 days in July this year.

We are going to rent a fairly large SUV kind of van, we are driving two families from Vancouver to my hometown Kelowna.

Going to need 7 or 8 seats, so a full sized SUV, or van really is the only option.

Any of your business kind of guys have a discount coupon or code for one of the rental companies?

Cheers!

Going to need 7 or 8 seats, so a full sized SUV, or van really is the only option.

:huh:

I don't know any SUVs with an 8 seat option.
We bought a Toyota Sienna minivan as it was the only one on the market that offered an 8 seat option. Even that was an option, so it may be tough to find that at a standard car rental place.

And sorry, don't have any coupons, but If I come across any, I'll let you know.

I'll ask my wife when I get home tonight if she still has the one from Budget. Your only option may be a 15 passenger van or two minivans. Hopefully you will have better luck than when my wifes family decided to drive nonstop from Minnesota to Florida for a b-i-l's funeral. 11 of us in a 15 passenger van which is not designed for luggage. Closest I ever became to being a mass murderer. If I could have found a cliff and pushed my wife out in time, I would have taken the whole crew to the bottom.

Well, as it turns out, we need a max of six seats on the trip back to Vancouver from Kelowna, so we went with the Dodge Caravan from Thrifty.

The www.expedia.ca site got me the best deal, 10 day rental on a Dodge Caravan, seats 7 with room for 5 large suitcases, for $654.59 CDN, not bad at all.

Thanks!

PS, I've heard that gas in Canada is not cheap, another reason for going with the Dodge Caravan over the Ford full sized SUV, they claim 17mpg for the Ford and 26 for the Dodge, I know both are optimistic, but I have to think the Dodge Caravan will be better!

Cheers!

Thanks for that Dave, a buddy of mine here told me that it was something like $2.25 a litre, I went.... :eek::eek::eek: ..... as that is more expensive than Tokyo, glad to see that it is just about the same price, or slightly cheaper.

Cheers! :thumb:

PS, I've heard that gas in Canada is not cheap, another reason for going with the Dodge Caravan over the Ford full sized SUV, they claim 17mpg for the Ford and 26 for the Dodge, I know both are optimistic, but I have to think the Dodge Caravan will be better!

It's a buck-twenty-three here in southern Ontario right now. Yes, per liter.

For gas prices you can also check out gasbuddy.com which is a conglomeration of websites where people try to track where the cheap gas is in a city.

And of course, to save gas, there are plenty of tips (CBC link) floating around. Mainly, avoid jackrabbit starts, and doing 100kph on the highway is better than 120kph by 20%.

I paid $3.60 a gallon here yesterday. It cost $61.00 to fill up my company van. I can remember not too long ago filling up both 20 gallon tanks on my F-350 4WD and it didn't cost $61.00.

Stu....You might look into having them build a commercial airport at you home town and flying there commercially. It might be cheaper to pay for the airport!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
So I just get them to send the bill to you Mark :D

There is an airport in Kelowna, a one-way ticket costs $110, with 5 of us going on the first wave, that is just about the price of the rental, then we would need a way to get around town :dunno:

I think the Caravan will be good, besides, driving up the [SIZE=+1]Coquihalla to Merritt, then the Okanagan connector to Kelowna is a nice drive, about 400 Km or 250 miles, is a nice 4 1/2 hour drive. Our Japanese friends who are going with us will get to see the sites, much more interesting than a plane ride, IMHO.

Cheers!
[/SIZE]

Hey Stu,

It sounds like you are on a tight schedule and won't actually be in the Vancouver area for any amount of time. However, if you do find the time, you're more than welcome to visit my humble shop. :thumb:

Cheers,
-Gari

Stuart Ablett;101343 besides said:
Coquihalla to Merritt, then the Okanagan connector to Kelowna is a nice drive,

Skip the Coquihalla and take them via Hell's Gate. That's a cool drive, as I recall (it has been 15 years) And if they're Stallone fans, you can stop in Hope and show them all the sights from his "First Blood" movie. :rolleyes:

Anyone else want to see the Coquihalla just go here and scroll down -- it's the BC Highway cameras. Hmm, still got some snow on the ground I see.

...art

Gari, I would love to, but we are on a rather tight schedule, and I'll be trailing 5 others, most of which don't speak English.

We are not sure exactly how the return part of our trip will shake out, never know, I might be able to drop by on the night of the 22nd...?

Where are you located in Vancouver again?

Art, I'd rather just drive the quick route up the Coquihalla, we might return via the Hope Princeton..?

Cheers!

Hey Stu,

No worries if you can't make it - I know how chatic it gets when you're meant to be on vacation! :) I live in Port Moody. PM me if you decide on making the trip.

-Gari

No plan to visit Lee Valley, I've already spent more than enough money on this trip, so far, we are over $6000 just for airfare, and car rental...:(

Not going to be much left in the kitty of any toys............ :doh:

Oh well, that is not the point of the trip............ I keep telling myself :rolleyes: