Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Email

Email

Why doesn't the forum allow my gmail address when I signed up?

Robert,

First off, welcome to the forum...and sorry if you had trouble signing up.

One of the things that's been reported on other sites is that the majority of people looking to start trouble use 'anonymous' email adresses. Anyone can create an account on one of these anonymous sites, use it to abuse people, and then walk away from the account, never looking back.

We're currently blocking anyone attempting to register using Gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc.. It has been acknowledged that some folks have ONLY this sort of email account. Anyone using one of these emails can contact the administrators of the site and explain their situation. Exceptions are made on a case by case basis.

A member poll was taken on this subject a while back, but not enough people showed an interest to vote, so the policy stands. (Search through the members only section of the forum and you'll see a few discussions about this.)

Again, sorry if you had problems registering. Hope you enjoy your stay...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Hey Robert,
    I don't even know what a gmail is but my dog goldie said "you sure look pretty in that necklace". .
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

I understand the reason but maybe after a period say 30 days or so one could be allowed to change

I do have one with my ISP that I used to register but the only time I ever access it is when I run across a scenario like this

otherwise I do all my online business through Gmail and yahoo so If someone here where to email me I wouldn't see it

Skip,

Members here can contact you via the forum Private Message system (PM) so you would know as soon as you log on.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 12-09-2006 at 03:03 AM.

I personally had trouble signing in with gmail as well and I kept trying to contact a moderator to get signed up and no one responded. I know many others who did this as well and just gave up. Yes I do have a email address in a different domain, but my gmail address is my only "permanent" email address. I keep all personal correspondence tied to this one account because it will stay with me despite job changes and so forth.

It is usually better to let people register with just about any domain, and screen out the bots with one of those images where you have to type in the letters.

This get 99.9% of the problems.

In the cases where you get users abusing the forums, a very rare occurance, you just ban their subnet ip addresses. Although ip addresses do change for some users, the subnet usually does not and a brief ban period will usually cause the offender to go somewhere else

Another option is to allow all email addresses, but you have moderators approve each registration.

I will emphasize again, that if you want this forum to grow, banning free email services is not the way to go.

That's cool Marty, I didn't have any problem signing up but I was a little concerned about missing a message. Greg answered that.

Brad, sorry about the lack of response when you tried to contact us. After seeing your comment, we did some digging around and found a flubbed e-mail setting that was sending the Webmaster e-mail messages into the ether. I'll take the blame for the problem, since I'm the guy who set up that part of the forum. Keep in mind we're all highly-trained professionals...just not at running a forum.

Things are still in the formative stages here, and the e-mail rules in place now may change down the road as we all get a better feel for how things go. Nothing around here is written in stone. (Well, except the woodworking part. I don't care HOW the members vote, this will remain a woodworking forum.) For the record, my personal opinions on the e-mail rules are pretty closely aligned with your suggestions, but the rules we have now are the result of a member discussion and vote, not one single guy's opinion. They may be changed again in the same way later.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hey Brad, you input is very much appreciated, and like Vaughn said, nothing is carved in stone.

On the whole throw-away-e-mail addy thing, look, the worst of the worst attacks I've seen on this type of forums are by the drive by posters, they come and sign up using a bogus name, and some anybody@hotmail.com type account and then unleash.

Sure, the staff usually pulls that kind of thing and spikes it, but who needs it?

Our reason for being is not to keep growing, we said at the outset, if only 100 members sign up, that is fine, we are not interested in growing, just for the sake of growing. We very much want a site that is member run, member funded, member driven too, so if a would be member cannot bother to send an e-mail to get signed up, if they only want to use a disposable e-mail addy, well then I question if we really want that person as a member. I'm not asking them to dig a 50' ditch in the freezing rain, 2' deep, come on, how hard can it be? Yes, there was a glitch here, and thanks to your message, we got it fixed (thanks) but if the glitch had not been there, and you had sent an e-mail, got a response, and then were signed up, would that have been so hard?

We would very much like to keep out the Trolls, they exist, they cause trouble, we don't need that.

I sure hope you do not think this is any kind of an attack on you or your position, it is just my opinion and my reasoning for it, as well as the results of discussions had before we opened the doors here.

Like Vaughn and I have said, this all could change, if the members as a whole think it is too much to ask that people who want to use a disposable account have to take an extra step of sending an e-mail to us to set up an account, so be it, this rule will change.

Sorry for the ramble.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by skip coyne View Post
    I understand the reason but maybe after a period say 30 days or so one could be allowed to change

I do have one with my ISP that I used to register but the only time I ever access it is when I run across a scenario like this

otherwise I do all my online business through Gmail and yahoo so If someone here where to email me I wouldn't see it
    Ditto for me. I had to phone my ISP to be reminded of my POP address in order to register. That's not a hardship, but I would prefer to get email alerts (subscribed threads) via Gmail cus that's what I've consolidated all my contacts.
    All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**