Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench Update

Bench Update

Well like everything I start, this took 5 times longer than I estimated to complete but it's finally done (well 99% anyway). First I'd like to thank everybody who helped answer questions I had along the way with this. I'm tempted to list them, but I just know I'd forget and insult somebody, so I'm going to chicken out and say THANKs again - you know who you are.

The construction is pretty much following Sam Blasco's bench on this thread
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22081
    Things Sam forget to mention though:
    1) I make this look easy
    2) You're an idiot if you try this without a honkin big vacuum press bag like I have
    3) Having a big slider TS sure beats trying to trim that top with a circular saw.
    4) I make this look easy

This ended up at 28x78. The thickness was originally meant to be 4". The top is (from the bottom up) 2 horizontal layers of 1/2" ply, 1 layer of 1" vertically laminated ply, 1 horiz. layer of 1/2" ply, then 1-1/2" of vertically laminated ply. The bottom 2 layers and top 2 layers were glued up separately, run through a wide belt sander, then those 2 slabs were glued together. The LH 2/3rds of the top ended up with a crown in the middle so more flattening with a router sled on rails was needed. That and the wide belt sanding made for a final thickness of around 3-5/8".

The vertically laminated layers were done using yellow glue to glue 5-6 layers of ply - the most I could do and be able to cut it on the TS. Then those were cut on the TS to form sub-sections of the 2 vert. layers. After those were all formed, epoxy was used to glue those together while also glueing them down to the horizontal layer(s) beneath.

The hardwood edging, and vise jaws are purpleheart. Not the funnest stuff to work with, but I wanted something darker to contrast with the ply. Of the locally available options in 8/4, the PH ended being one of the better prices. It's glued to the ply core with epoxy. The area around the Tucker vise also has #14-4" screws through the PH as well. It seemed prudent for supporting the 50 Lb vise weight.

The rear rail underneath is a piece of Macacuaba I pulled from my No-Kill Wood Shelter.

Noden Adjust-A-Bench leg hardware underneath which I'm already enjoying. It made for much more comfortable working heights as I completed finessing and finishing the top. The caster set rolls extremely well too. Maybe I'll mount some masts and sails in the dogholes and take the bench for a spin around the neighborhood this summer

Bison leather jaw liners for the Twinscrew picked up on eBay around 1/4" thick.

I wanted to be able to keep longer work flush with the bench front which is why the Tucker vise is mounted in that setback. An LV Surface Clamp in the dogholes on the front edge works to hold the opposite end.

Still need to finish up a couple of things but probably wont get to them for a couple of weeks.
    -Finish touchup in a couple spots
    -Easing the dog hole edges
    -Drilling dog holes in the Twinscrew jaw
    -A tiny bit more shimming underneath for the UHMW rub strips

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bench50.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	20134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench52.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	20135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench54.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	20136
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 05-01-2008 at 02:59 PM.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

very nice doug!
    are ya` scared of putting the first ding in it?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Nice work there, Doug. Very nice.

Now get busy with that WoodRat!
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Really nice, Doug!

Got more pictures? Those of us who are banned from SMC can't see any of Sam's pictures (although I did go to his Photobucket site.)
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Nice work there, Doug. Very nice.

Now get busy with that WoodRat!
    Well I do at least have the mounting points on the back edge of the bench for hanging a Rat board. I buried 2 cross dowel nuts about 4" into the core with a hole through the back to thread a long bolt into. Just gotta get the Rat board made.

Jim
    I've got scads of pics along the way. What in particular do you want to see?
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Doug, that looks great. Really, REALLY nice. Well done!

I think I might be afraid to bang on it for fear of denting it!. I'd have a cow if I ever dropped a chisel!!!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    very nice doug!
    are ya` scared of putting the first ding in it?
    I know I would be...I still remember being upset when I jigsawed into my bench....but it's made out of 2X4s.

Beautiful Work Doug, and Sam too!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Forgive me, Sam!

I clipped the pic I was most fascinated by!

Name:	06LetsSee7AfterTrim2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	20144

Now, that is one novel way to make a benchtop!

Wow!

Doug, that's one gorgeous bench! Wish I had something like that!

Thanks,

Bill

Here's a couple more

This pic shows the stack of lam subsections sitting on top of the horizontal ply pieces. Both the 1" and 1-1/2" portion were done from the same glued up lamination. Everything else from this point forward was where the fun and epoxy started.

Name:	bench16.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	20145

Here's after doing the bottom 2" portion. This and then the top 2" similar sub-slab were what got hauled to Armstrong Millworks in Highland, MI for a few passes thru their wide belt sander. Both of those lost 1/8" in the process.

Name:	bench21.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	20146

Here's one gluing the 2 slabs together. This is probably where at least some of my center crowning problem cropped up. Shoulda used cauls here too, but realistically both of these slabs were so blasted heavy I thought the weight of the top slab alone would take care of things.

Name:	bench27.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	20147

Okay, Doug, I gotta ask: Are you married?

After looking at the bottom picture in your last post, with the glue-up sitting in the middle of what looks like it's probably your living room (carpet, fireplace, TV, etc.), I just can't imagine my wife of 42 years, or the wife of anyone else I know, letting me/them get away with that!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!