Well like everything I start, this took 5 times longer than I estimated to complete but it's finally done (well 99% anyway). First I'd like to thank everybody who helped answer questions I had along the way with this. I'm tempted to list them, but I just know I'd forget and insult somebody, so I'm going to chicken out and say THANKs again - you know who you are.
The construction is pretty much following Sam Blasco's bench on this thread
Things Sam forget to mention though:
1) I make this look easy
2) You're an idiot if you try this without a honkin big vacuum press bag like I have
3) Having a big slider TS sure beats trying to trim that top with a circular saw.
4) I make this look easy
This ended up at 28x78. The thickness was originally meant to be 4". The top is (from the bottom up) 2 horizontal layers of 1/2" ply, 1 layer of 1" vertically laminated ply, 1 horiz. layer of 1/2" ply, then 1-1/2" of vertically laminated ply. The bottom 2 layers and top 2 layers were glued up separately, run through a wide belt sander, then those 2 slabs were glued together. The LH 2/3rds of the top ended up with a crown in the middle so more flattening with a router sled on rails was needed. That and the wide belt sanding made for a final thickness of around 3-5/8".
The vertically laminated layers were done using yellow glue to glue 5-6 layers of ply - the most I could do and be able to cut it on the TS. Then those were cut on the TS to form sub-sections of the 2 vert. layers. After those were all formed, epoxy was used to glue those together while also glueing them down to the horizontal layer(s) beneath.
The hardwood edging, and vise jaws are purpleheart. Not the funnest stuff to work with, but I wanted something darker to contrast with the ply. Of the locally available options in 8/4, the PH ended being one of the better prices. It's glued to the ply core with epoxy. The area around the Tucker vise also has #14-4" screws through the PH as well. It seemed prudent for supporting the 50 Lb vise weight.
The rear rail underneath is a piece of Macacuaba I pulled from my No-Kill Wood Shelter.
Noden Adjust-A-Bench leg hardware underneath which I'm already enjoying. It made for much more comfortable working heights as I completed finessing and finishing the top. The caster set rolls extremely well too. Maybe I'll mount some masts and sails in the dogholes and take the bench for a spin around the neighborhood this summer
Bison leather jaw liners for the Twinscrew picked up on eBay around 1/4" thick.
I wanted to be able to keep longer work flush with the bench front which is why the Tucker vise is mounted in that setback. An LV Surface Clamp in the dogholes on the front edge works to hold the opposite end.
Still need to finish up a couple of things but probably wont get to them for a couple of weeks.
-Finish touchup in a couple spots
-Easing the dog hole edges
-Drilling dog holes in the Twinscrew jaw
-A tiny bit more shimming underneath for the UHMW rub strips
Attachment 20134Attachment 20135Attachment 20136