Routers, lifts, tables - questions.

Kevin Vernon

First off - I have a fixed base, in a table - came as a combo, this particular Ryobi:
3c2d3611-608a-4b7b-a331-1f507e038a0e_400.jpg

Actually, the Ryobi combo I have is a bit older than this one shown, it has a slightly different guard/dust chute arrangement, and the router that came with it has only a fixed base, not a plunge like this one in the photo.

I have already determined I'd like a bigger table for it, and a lift - any clue as to which router lift might work best with this, or should I ditch it & get something else?

2nd: I also have a plunge, for hand-held work. It is a POS H.F. unit...
43585.gif

and it is DEFINITELY going away, my question being, what are your thoughts on relpacing it with THIS:
KM12VC.jpg

Hitachi KM12VC

I'm open to suggestion & fishing for information & input here, gang....love to hear what y'all think.

-Kevin in Indy :dunno:

Yep, that's exactly how I started, with a "table" very much like that. Then moved "up" to the same exact router under a different brand name. Then I got an M12V.

Lots of people run them, and for many, the upgrade path stops there. It did with me. The harder part is table design. I'm on either my third or fourth, depending on how you count. I'm on my second (and last) fence, and after trying a few plates my first and last lift.

There's another router out there that gets pretty good marks, and supposedly doesn't require a lift for above the table bit changes. I've heard many good things, but if I recall there were a couple clouds on the horizon...

Whatever you do, plan big, so you don't end up building 4 different router tables! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

kevin,
the big question is not what brand router or even what brand table/lift combo but what do you want to do with the tool?
then after figuring what you`d like to achieve, what kind of money are you willing to part with?

The Hitachi M12V, with the Router Raizer is a VERY good set up, that is what I have, and it is a real workhorse for sure.

router_raizer_top_view1.jpg

router_raizer_bottom_view.jpg

rt_flipped_up_open2.jpg

I think you can get a reconditioned Hitachi M12V for a good price, then the RouterRaizer and you are good to go..... :dunno:

John Lucas has a good page or two >> HERE << about this set up.

Cheers!

kevin in my opinon i wouldnt suggest you extend the bit any higher than it was intened in the machine..they make a bent wrench that is completly safe and makes bit changes easy.. i too have a hitachi m12v like stu showed you and its a work horse i have done 3 kitchens, raised panels with it .. but back to what tod said is how much are you lookin to spend and what are you lookin to do.. you can easily get as much in a table, router and router raiser as what you could get in a smaller shaper and have much more use of it and safer in most people eyes.

I use a large dedicated router for the table. A kit like you show will be a smaller motor than some folks use for the table but you get to use it hand-held as well so that's a plus. A lot of folks are very happy with the Hitachi here and on other forums.

I use a commercial table top on a metal legged frame. It works well with my Bosch 1617 router, and I will be putting a Hitachi MV12 in it soon. It's a simple set up, but all I need right now. I think you'll like the Hitachi router, for general router work. As Tod posted, what kind of router woodworking do you want to do, and what's your budget?

Hurray for that MV12... I too started with the MV12 when I moved from the benchtop unit to a full blown cabinet style table. Plenty of power... used it for years, many hundreds of feet of picture frames/flooring etc. before replacing it with a big Milwalkee when I upgraded to the Benchdog. I still use it when I need a powerful router for hand operations. It doesn't bog down when the going gets tough. In my humble opinion, one of the things you want to shoot for in a router table is mass to soak up vibration. Build or buy it as big and heavy as you have space or can afford, with as thick a table as you can.
05holder.jpg