Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thinking about an EZ Smart

Central (upstate) NY

thinking about an EZ Smart

Depending on how much overtime I get next week, I will be able to pay off a couple credit cards (with a little help from stimulated economics) and have a bit left over for a couple toys.

This is where life gets hard, since I can't just get everything I want. I am thinking of maybe getting an EZ Smart system. I have a nice DeWalt saw with a brake that I figure would make a good EZ Smart saw. If I can scrape up the cash, would it be worthwhile to also get the 90 degree repeater thingee?

Just for the record, even if the Festool folks here decide to sell their stuff at half list to "upgrade", Festool is still not in the budget.

As far as the other cutting tools I currently have are a 12" Delta RAS, a 14" bandsaw and the router table (I used the router table as my "saw" when I made my first RAS table). I do not have a TS, nor do I have room for a TS. Frankly, I'm kind of nervous about tablesaws. (Yeah, I know, I'm in that 0.0001% nutjob portion of the population who's 'fraid of the TS but happy as a clam with a good solid RAS. )

So, I'm thinking that an EZ Smart system would round things out nicely. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Tokyo Japan
    Mark, I think the Ez Smart system is a good system for a hobbyist to have, in fact, I looked HARD at it, but in the end, I really wanted the Festool saw, so I went that route, remember, my costs and prices are very different here.

I think you would be happy with the EZ system, and the saw you have, good bang for the buck.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Having just spend the last few days mostly converting sheet goods to make new carts etc for the shop I would recommend a guided rail system if you spend any amount of time doing that sort of work.

Like Stu my choice was made on the basis of saw first and I went festool for that reason. Regardless, a well set up guided rail makes sheet goods easier to handle. Go for it.

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    I have the 114" EZ system, and the EZ square, with handle. I also have an extra 36" section of the EZ rail, with the non-skid tape on it, which I use for smaller pieces.

Having had a couple of 'lesser' guides in the past, I was really impresed when I tried an EZ the first time (at Hartville Hardware), but it was still a year or so before I bought mine.

I really like it. I originally bought it for breaking down plywood sheets into handleable pices for the tablesaw, but now I find that I can just go right to the finished size cuts with the EZ, and mostly eliminate the tablesaw.

Like you, Mark, the Festool was/is nice, but just not in my price range.
    Jim D.

Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
    I have the Festool system and the saw and the vacuum are worth the extra cost to me. If I did not care so much about these, I would probably opt for the Veritas tool quide system (see:,45313&ap=1) but might choose the EZ system instead.
    Cheers, Frank

Reno NV
    I got tired of wrangling around full sheets of plywood and homemade guides.

They were having a sale on the EZ Smart Homeowner package at some point last year and I went ahead and got it. 2 rails, hold downs, square, table system.

It's been a very good purchase. I know there are 'wars' over the preferences and capabilities. I just wanted something to make breaking down sheet goods easy and accurate. This certainly does that I'm very happy with it.

I really like being able to make my mark on the plywood, put the square right on the line and make the cut and have it be dead on accurate.

The table is ok, but not really necessary if you setup your own sawhorse system with sacrificial strips on top.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Monroe, MI
    I've posted this before, but I had the EZ and now have Festool. There's no comparing the Festool saw for woodworking and I find it is easier to make dead on accurate cuts with the Festool than the EZ due to the differences in their anti-chip edge design.

It sounds like a CS guide system would be a real nice addition to your capabilities. As Brent pointed out, being able to cut right on your mark is a huge attribute to the EZ and Festool systems. I picked up the EZ 100" guide a year or so ago and it has proved to be very helpful. I don't have a repeater, but I have had opportunities where the square would have been helpful.

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I got tired of wrangling around full sheets of plywood and homemade guides...The table is ok, but not really necessary if you setup your own sawhorse system with sacrificial strips on top.
    I bought the hardware and made the table - just a couple months ago. It works quite well, but I think a similar sized (about 3' X 6 ') sacrificial grid on top of a couple sawhorses would work just as well.

Frank suggested the LV setup. I looked at it, but it has the same disadvantage as the Clamp-n-Guide, and others - it still puts the blade somewhere 'out there' beyond the edge of the clamp so you have to measure and compensate. The EZ, and the Festool, both allow cutting exactly at the edge of the rail, so you make your mark, then put the rail down right on the mark and cut - no further measuring. Much better!
    Jim D.

Delton, Michigan
    mark i dont have one but used one at clardy's and was ipressed with it.. the table could be made as jim said..but the cuts were easy to line up and came out well.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!