Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Profound Woodworking Conundrum

Profound Woodworking Conundrum

This is incredibly sad, lately I have been hit with the dreaded PWC. No not a wayward personal water craft, but Profound Woodworker Conundrum.

Its just there is so much taking up my time, from foster parent classes, to rustling up some cows, to figuring out where I am going to cut wood next, to just plain family gatherings, that my time is...well...fragmented at best.

Right now I have a few hours I can go into my shop and get things done, and I want to, I enjoy woodworking, but its so frustrating because I know I don't have time to get anything meaningful done. So my projects sit idle. In the meantime I start something and fail to finish it. Like my shoulder plane that needs just a bit of work and it will be done. Or my dovetail saw that needs far more work, but with idle hands is not getting anywhere. Then of course there is the Engine Lathe I started to build...

Over the past few weeks I have walked in there several times with a few hours in which to work and just mopped about. No real drive as I know it might be days or weeks before I can get back in there.

Can anyone relate? Does anyone else suffer with this, or is this just some sort of woodworker's block that I have that is indeed rare? Does anyone have a cure?
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    This is incredibly sad, lately I have been hit with the dreaded PWC. No not a wayward personal water craft, but Profound Woodworker Conundrum.

Its just there is so much taking up my time, from foster parent classes, to rustling up some cows, to figuring out where I am going to cut wood next, to just plain family gatherings, that my time is...well...fragmented at best.
    Nope, it's not PWC Travis, it's the effects of "the quickening". You have been assimilated.

good luck eh?

cheers

The more we do, the more we want to do, the more we can't do, the more we have to do, the more we need to do, the more we forget to do.

Pretty Common Occurance...

Ain't We All...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    The more we do, the more we want to do, the more we can't do, the more we have to do, the more we need to do, the more we forget to do.

Pretty Common Occurance...

Ain't We All...
    Hey Bill, I really like that! I have written it down and am going to post a sign in my shop with that exact quote. Is it yours, or should I attribute it to someone else?
    Cheers, Frank

Yup, I struggle with that too. It used to be much worse as I'd have a dozen projects going at once and not getting anywhere on any of them. The thing I figured out was, that I lost focus on what I needed to be doing next. I finally got a notebook and wrote down where I left off and short list of what still needed to be done. Also started a "grocery" list of things I needed, so when I went to the borg I'd know what I needed to pickup. This has helped a bunch and kept my "ongoing" projects on track...hope this helps.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Travis, you’re not alone, I go through that once or twice a year.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Travis, you’re not alone, I go through that once or twice a year.
    I thought this was a 'normal' state of being.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow View Post
    Hey Bill, I really like that! I have written it down and am going to post a sign in my shop with that exact quote. Is it yours, or should I attribute it to someone else?
    Just thunk it up, Frank... I might write it down too. Getting to be a Motto around here.

Obviously in the minority here. I probably average 20+ hours shop time most weeks.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

More or Less

Greetings
    Procrastination is never your friend! I liked the saying posted by Bill, and now I'll have to carve it. See below in pdf.
    Attached Files Attached Files