Adjustable Box Joint Jig

Gayl Beals

JIT.jpgTo get started with an adjustable Box joint Jig, I bought a pals to adjust the saw blade parallel to the rails within +-.003 The plan was from American Woodworker #133 January 2008
Jig.jpg
The runners were made from Hard Maple. They were shimmed to the out side of the slots, with very little clearance.The base and fixed fence are glued at 90° Put a weight on the base and let it dry.Then you can go ahead install screws later.
Jig2.jpgThe small section is fasten to the fixed fenced fence.The adusting is with a 1/4-20 x 6" eyescrew bushed both ends. It really adjusts,very nicely.
Jig6.jpgThe adusting fench has two 1/4 x 20 thumbscrews
Jig4.jpgI added 4" to the back for extra weighThere are several things that were different from the original that I went ahead change the plan. It has been a very hard working Fixture.Very nice to use.

Made something similar but it uses a 1/4-32 thread for the adjustment. Then one turn of the adjustment moves it 1/32 of an inch. Makes quick set up of box joints.

Gayl,

Thank you very much for taking the time to take pictures and post this. I'll have to see about getting a copy of those plans. I've got a jig now, but it's not adjustable and was made for an old dado set. Was looking at making a new one, so this looks to be the way I'll go.

Thanks again,

Made something similar but it uses a 1/4-32 thread for the adjustment. Then one turn of the adjustment moves it 1/32 of an inch. Makes quick set up of box joints.
Good point!!With 1/4-20 thread it moves .05 in one full turn.I was not thinking about that,the next one I build it will have 32 pitch thread.

Box Joint Jig

Good Evening Friends,
Gail, I particularly like your jig as mine is one I made several years ago but, like a fool I loaned it out and haven't seen it since.

I just might build one like yours but, will use the 1/4 x 32 bolt as I can see how it would hasten the setting and be very accurate.

Respectfully,

Last edited:
Back issues:

Odd, NO eMail or online requests
------------------------------------------
Back Issues
Some of our past issues are still available for $5.00 each.
Call (715) 246-4344 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central, Monday through Friday, for availability and ordering, or write to:

Back Issues
American Woodworker
Box 83695
Stillwater, MN 55083-0695.
Copies of Past Articles
Photocopies of previous articles are available for $3.00 each.
Call (715) 246-4344 or write to:

Copies
American Woodworker
Box 83695
Stillwater, MN 55083-0695.