My first bowl!!!! **UPDATE PICS ADDED**

Joan Keeler

Well I fianlly took the plunge and tried my hand at bowl turning. The first 2 tries ended in hurt knockles and chunks taken out of the same blank. So I decided to watch my DVD's from start to finish. Now I was armed and ready.... NOT!!! The third try wasn't any better. The blank was getting the better of me. So I called Molly, the manager at our local Rockler and she was able to connect me with an experienced bowl turner named Peter Asselyn, http://peterasselyn.tripod.com. He gives private lessons and the other day I was able to have one. I walked in nervous and totally unsure of what to do. I realized the things I was doing wrong and walked away with more confidence and an understanding of what to do. He is a great teacher and I learned so much more than just the bowl turning. Info about my chisels, sanding, my lathe, scrapening and so on. It was well worth it. Below is my first bowl ever. It is made out of figured maple. The finished product is 5 3/4" across and 2 3/4" high. Just a little bowl but it was a lot of fun turning it. The pics are giving me a bit of a problem so bare with me and they will be following very shortly. Please excuse the photography, I'm still learning that too....hehehehe. All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

joan_1st_bowl_1.jpg joan_1st_bowl_2.jpg joan_1st_bowl_3.jpg

EDIT: I added Joan's pics of her first bowl!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your first, Joan. :thumb: The first one is always a milestone. To echo Nancy, let us know if you need help getting the pictures posted.

Sorry everyone... :dunno: I've tried resizing and posting and nothing worked. I remailed my pics to grizzly to see if he can help me out and he was going to try it himself, i guess either the pics didn't make it to him or it didn't work for him either. I'll let you know probably tomorrow night where we're at with these fathom pics....hehehehe

OK Joan, I got your pics and added them.

The main problem was the pics were saved as bitmaps, "bmp" files, which are huge, each one was about 700 KB, I saved them as JPEG files, and they are now around 18 KB, I also cropped your pics a bit.

Boy, if that is your first bowl, man, I'm impressed! :clap:

Sure is a pretty piece of wood too! :thumb:

Well done indeed! :D

Cheers! :wave:

PS, make sure you sign and date it!

The only thing I see wrong with that bowl is you haven't signed and dated it on the bottom. :D

That's WAY better than most of the first bowls you tend to see around the Internet. Not only is the wood gorgeous, but the form looks spot on, and the finish, too. You should be very proud of that one, Joan.
dance.gif

Very nice Joan!! The form is graceful and simple and shows off the beauty of the wood very well. The wood is lovely with grain and striping accentuating each other - I do love a simple, graceful turning more than any other type!!

cheers eh?

I'm not surprised. :dunno:

Nope, not me. :confused:

I KNEW Joan would be GREAT! ;)

Way to go girl! :clap:

DT

Wow! You keep that up and you'll put Bill G right outta business in a couple years!

Very, very nice. I love the way that cross-hatching grain / figure contrasts with the circular bowl shape.

First of all a great big thank you to Stu for saving me and teaching me about the pics. I had resized them but never thought about the file I had saved them. THANK YOU Stu :thumb: !!!!!!
Next I want to thank all of you for your wonderful encouragement :D Once I had help it turned into fun and now I can't wait to try again. And yes I will sign it and date it. I was told to get a gel pen to do it. Haven't had time yet but I will. THANKS !!!!

thanks stu :wave:

joan sent them to me sunday night , but somthing went kerfluey and i never got them :huh:

its nice to see helping hands all over the place here :clap::D
oh yeah , nice bowl again joan :thumb: (i'm sure this wont count , i've seen it in person already) :p