Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer Double Decker Cabinet

Computer Double Decker Cabinet

We have two computers in the cash register area of the liquor shop, one if for the net, mail etc, the other one runs the computerized cash register system. Counter space is a premium in the shop, so I've got a system where one computer is stacked on the other (both are presently laptops). Each computer sits on a flat piece of wood, like a drawer with no front or back, and you just pull it out to use it, to use the other computer, you push one in, closing the laptop, and pull the other one out. This set up works well, and takes up a LOT less space.

The new system does NOT use a laptop, but a fairly slim computer and keyboard, so I have to redesign the cabinet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cz-6700.gif 
Views:	54 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	20244 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cz=6700_sys.gif 
Views:	38 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	20245
    That is the system, the cash register is about half the size of the old one, and has a nice touch screen........ more stuff for me to learn
    The new register will not have the keyboard, the keyboard will be on the computer. I'll have to make a keyboard slide that will first pull out, then slide to the left, to allow room for the mouse, well most likely a track ball, as they take up less space.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lots_of_clamps.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	20246
    This is the new cabinet all glued up, heck I might even paint it, depends on time, I have to have this all ready to go by Friday 9 AM. I'm going to put a power bar inside of the unit, to control the wires that snake everywhere now, and a fan or two for air exchange, as well as drilling holes through the bottom for wires to between the cash register and the computer, now the wires are all run externally, as the goof (NOT ME!!) who designed the original cash register area did not think about running wires

No fine furniture here, but it will be an improvement on what we have, and the price is right

yep, flat work

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

1...2...3... I count fourteen besseys!

I only have 4 left on the rack
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Note to self - buy more clamps.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Sometimes some of the best projects are the ones that make life easier for you. Looks like this one would qualify.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

hmmmm.. Those clamps look familiar...

Bet it's good to get back to messin' with wood, eh?

Definately go with a track ball... I used them for years and miss having one with the machines I have now that came with a mouse. (serial connectors went bye bye....)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Rennie's right, time for a few more
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-12-2008 at 02:25 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Stu, I'm glad to see that "Necessity" surfaced and required you to do a Flat Work Project, before you forgot how.

Ummmm........just one question though, uhhh....are Devout Vortex members really ALLOWED to have that many Clamps in their shop without endangering their Membership?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Rennie's right, time for a few more
    I'll have to watch for another sale

My wife could not understand why I needed so many clamps, I showed her the pic and said I only had four clamps left, and as this is for the L shop, she approves of me buying so many. Now if I make up a bunch more cabinets of some kind, I will need more clamps.......... right
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-12-2008 at 02:26 PM.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    Stu, I'm glad to see that "Necessity" surfaced and required you to do a Flat Work Project, before you forgot how.

Ummmm........just one question though, uhhh....are Devout Vortex members really ALLOWED to have that many Clamps in their shop without endangering their Membership?
    From my cold dead hands.....
    William Arthur Ward